Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extra deposit for dog

hi everyone,
    i have found somewhere to rent and they can kindly accepted our small dog. I just wanted to check, they are asking for a £250 pet bond extra. My friend however said she saw something that said landlords are not allowed to ask for extra money anymore?
    Can anyone clarify for me so i know the current rules.
    Thank you

Landlords are allowed to put a clause in the tenancy agreement and ask for a bigger deposit if the tenant intends to keep pets in the property.

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com...rom-pet-claws/

Comment

thats great, as long as that is the done thing i am happy with that, thank you

Comment

The combined deposit is still capped by the Tenant Fees Act at 5 weeks (6 weeks where annual rent is at least £50K).
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Some landlords will now simply increase the rent because they can no longer take a 'Pet deposit'.

Which means you will pay more overall - the longer you stay the more you pay.

And then some will 'forget' that they charged extra to cover your pet and will also try to claim costs when you leave because of the 'damage' your pet has caused.

It's one of the things they didn't consider when bring in laws restricting deposits.

Comment

And to make matters worse the law is that you can't take a higher rent and agree to lower it later if things are working out well with the pet.

There seem to be a very large pool of potential tenants with pets in my area going round in circles with nowhere to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              And to make matters worse the law is that you can't take a higher rent and agree to lower it later if things are working out well with the pet.
              Not quite true.
              • You can agree to lower it after a year.

Comment

so deposit is now capped at 5 weeks? if thats the case 5 weeks deposit here would be £850. I am being asked for £975 (1 month rent + pet deposit)

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                  Some landlords will now simply increase the rent because they can no longer take a 'Pet deposit'.

Which means you will pay more overall - the longer you stay the more you pay.

And then some will 'forget' that they charged extra to cover your pet and will also try to claim costs when you leave because of the 'damage' your pet has caused.

It's one of the things they didn't consider when bring in laws restricting deposits.
                  I'm charging an additional £25 pcm per pet. This isn't to cover damage; it's because I don't really want pets. If it was to cover damage it would be a deposit paid monthly with all the paperwork that'll involve.

The last pets (in the minging bungalow) caused damage to the laminate (burst large fishtank), dog poo in the yard and garden (a lot of it), dog chewing to the woodwork in the conservatory, dog pee and poo in the conservatory with the pee soaking the laminate so much the laminate bent when I stripped it out, poo skiddies all over the wooden doors where the dog had jumped up, big thick clumpy tumbleweed of fur all over the place...... as you can imagine this has cost a lot to repair - around £800 as a lower estimate. Plus lost rent ( 1 month ) while I get the damage repaired and the flooring replaced. So that's about £1400 just in pet damage or 56 months at £25 pcm.

I forgot to add on the skip hire to remove all the damaged floor = £225.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelly24 View Post
                    so deposit is now capped at 5 weeks? if thats the case 5 weeks deposit here would be £850. I am being asked for £975 (1 month rent + pet deposit)
                    That's no longer legal.

On a practical level, if you decline the increased deposit, you may not be allowed to proceed with the tenancy and it's hard to find a landlord prepared to take a pet.
                    Or the landlord may increase the rent as an alternative.

You may find that not knowing that the landlord is doing something illegal is actually helpful.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

You may find that not knowing that the landlord is doing something illegal is actually helpful.
                      Good point jp!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

There seem to be a very large pool of potential tenants with pets in my area going round in circles with nowhere to stay.
                        And this is why I advertise that I will consider pets. It's a family house. Families who have pets.
                        interestingly none of the people I've ended up renting to had a pet.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                          by jpkeates
                          Revisit the repayment plan.

You know you owe the money, but, right now, can't pay what you thought you could.
                          That's fair enough.

Offer the agent/landlord a revised plan based on your new circumstances....
                          08-04-2020, 08:39 AM
                        • Washing Machine/Rent arrears
                          by Washingmachine44
                          Hi Everyone,

I'm a former tenant of a property and I'm looking for some advice. I rented a property in London for 7 years with my GF and moved out in February of this year. I still owe 2 months rent arrears and this is being paid of in agreed installments through the estate agent. ...
                          07-04-2020, 17:54 PM
                        • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
                          by theartfullodger
                          If tenanted and then sold, the sale does not end the tenancy nor require tenant to leave.

New owner becomes new landlord, even if outside with removals van and screaming kids. Normal eviction processes apply .
                          08-04-2020, 07:47 AM
                        • Properties for sale AND Let?
                          by Questioningtenant
                          HI! Apologies if this is a stupid question; I am rather ignorant in terms of a property being offered for sale and for let at the same time.

I'm a tenant currently looking for a larger rental property and I've noticed a trend in my area in recent times to place a property both for sale...
                          07-04-2020, 21:27 PM
                          by boletus
                          You have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning?
                          Karma?

Or on a practical level;

The stress finishes off the landlord. The grandson then takes over the estate and is not such a good man. He is very upset at the tenant's low behaviour after the old man
                          08-04-2020, 07:27 AM
                          by boletus
                          I have low quality machines still going strong more than 20 years old. I've also replaced one that was 2 years and 2 months old (I remember looking up the just out of date warranty- bearings had gone)

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com...sing-items.pdf

It is reasonable to...
                          08-04-2020, 06:59 AM
                        • Reply to Properties for sale AND Let?
                          by BTL investor
                          Only reason I can think of is that whilst the property is untenanted the owner puts it up for rent but also puts it up for sale at a high price just in case a buyer willing to pay the high price comes along.
                          07-04-2020, 23:31 PM
                        • Reply to Restrictions on rental agent
                          by Mike_H
                          Here in Aus, agents are allowed to do individual viewings, auctions are going ahead (albeit online) and you still see removal vans moving people in and out of places etc Sounds like we're a little less restricted than the UK at the moment.

Hopefully we get over all this sooner rather than...
                          07-04-2020, 23:28 PM
                        • Restrictions on rental agent
                          by Mike_H
                          I'm currently living abroad so am not up on the restrictions currently in place in the UK.

The tenant in my house (in the UK) is leaving at the end of the month. My rental agent has advertised the property and has had plenty of interest, but is telling me that there is nothing they can...
                          07-04-2020, 21:28 PM
                        • Reply to Restrictions on rental agent
                          by Questioningtenant
                          Some letting agents are offering 'virtual viewings' although in my area, these seem few and far between. I have also send a couple of properties switch to 'Let Agreed' in the past couple of days and many agents are processing everything digitally - I think it depends largely on the agent in terms of...
                          07-04-2020, 22:17 PM
                        Working...
                        X