Periodic Tenancy Rent Increases and the Dereg Act 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Periodic Tenancy Rent Increases and the Dereg Act 2015

I am aware that tenancies that become periodic after 1st Oct 2015 are caught under the rules of the Deregulation Act.

My question is, does having issued a rent increase since then constitute a new Periodic Tenancy? To my knowledge it does not, but I want to be sure.

All of my tenancies make mention of an annual increase, and I have only ever needed to agree a small increase with tenants and they have adjusted their payments to the new figure. I have never needed to issue a Section 13 Notice as the increase has always been mutually agreeable.

But it has started to worry me lately that rent increases may constitute a trigger event for the Dereg Act Rules?

If your tenancy agreements mention an annual increase you might find that s13 isn't viable, you have to be quite careful with the wording.

Not all periodic tenancies starting after October 2015 are caught by all of the deregulation act, some provisions exclude them.

But a rent increase in a periodic tenancy doesn't (on it's own) cause a new tenancy to arise, so you should be OK.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

many thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X