Water meter install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water meter install

My water company informs me that if my tenancy is longer than 6 months, then I don't technically have to inform my landlord should I wish to have a water meter installed. Although I would inform them out of courtesy, is it true?

There is a standard stipulation in all ASTs that says you shouldn't tamper with utility meters etc, but as I understand it that stipulation itself does not supersede the abovementioned law/technicality.

For us, installing a water meter would give significant costs. The rateable value cost is ludicrously high.

The Water Industry Act 1999 makes any term in a tenancy agreement of more than six months relating to fitting a water meter void.
    You don't have to tell the landlord, but it would be courteous.

The problem arises if the landlord says no - because although you are right from a legal point of view, some landlords aren't particularly reasonable.
    Depends on how well you know the landlord, but I'd probably just do it.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Sometimes considerable damage and redecoration is required as a result of meter-fitting. That would be your responsibility to correct. Otherwise as above.

That said why don't you just speak to the landlord. If a tenant of mine were to fit a meter without even bothering to ask there would not be much free-love left going on my side, so expect lack of any later goodwill (like when you want to leave a little early and spit the last month pro-rata, want to break your contract, want to keep your rent low, get some nice fittings).

Comment

Your landlord might benefit from a lower water charge during voids. Perhaps mention this when you discuss it.

Comment

Water is different because if you install a meter you can't go back to rateable value payment. If you were my tenant I'd issue a s21, with appropriate reference if you did it behind my back. Your landlord may not mind, I'd suggest you speak to him.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
            Sometimes considerable damage and redecoration is required as a result of meter-fitting.
            Redecorating a hole in the ground?

What posh placed do you let?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

Redecorating a hole in the ground?

What posh placed do you let?
              Of course -- water meters are very often placed indoors. It is not always the case that they can be placed outdoors at all -- in at least two of my properties it involved re-piping of part of downstairs loo and some re-wallpapering (and moving of the main internal stopcock as the meter has to be before the stopcock). So it is of course the case that the costs can be considerable.

I guess if alterations to the property are required, the tenancy agreement may require that the landlord does give consent to alter. Therefore whilst it might be a right of the tenant, it might also be in breach of the tenancy agreement under some circumstances.

Comment

T's water meter may be of benefit from their point of view, but not from LLs POV.
                AFAIK only T, not LL, can revert to rateable value calculation within x months of installation.
                Allow LL the same freedom offered to owner-occupiers installing a water meter.

Comment

Originally posted by JP23 View Post
                  There is a standard stipulation in all ASTs that says you shouldn't tamper with utility meters
                  "tampering with" is not the same as having the utility provider install a meter.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                    Of course -- water meters are very often placed indoors.
                    I have to admit that I wasn't considering flats for example - all of my water meters are outside.
                    Changing a meter inside a property is a different kettle of fish.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

One of my properties has a WM right in the middle of the shelf under the sink so requires a cut-out shape in the shelf. How annoying. We're replacing the kitchen and have to make that awkward cut out in the new shelf. I'm hoping the old shelf will fit in the new units. Maybe it's just a small annoyance but it's yet another problem in the minging bungalow.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X