Are you able to write fines into a lodger contract for lost time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    The point about the clauses not being enforceable is that they're not legal.
    Given that the fines for breaking rules would all be clearly in the contract & the lodger would have to read, agree to it & sign it before moving in, how is it not legal?

Thanks in advance for the clarification

Comment

Because in English law penalty clauses in consumer contracts are not legal and your tenant reading them and understanding and, even, agreeing the terms can't overcome that.

Fundamentally, the balance of power between consumers and traders and service providers is so unequal, the legislation (and market guidance from people like the competition and markets commission) is there to redress the balance.

When contracts are signed between businesses, the rules are different, because businesses are presumed to know what they're agreeing to.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Because in English law penalty clauses in consumer contracts are not legal and your tenant reading them and understanding and, even, agreeing the terms can't overcome that.

When contracts are signed between businesses, the rules are different, because businesses are presumed to know what they're agreeing to.
        wow so basically normal people are immune to contracts because they aren't presumed to know what they're agreeing to? oh my word.

Comment

For goodness sake, you're not a court. You dont have the power to fine people. And if you try to convince a real court that you should be allowed to fine someone for slamming a door or having sex in your property they will just laugh and throw you out. Are you really sure that taking in lodgers is a good idea?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            For goodness sake, you're not a court.
            Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            Are you really sure that taking in lodgers is a good idea?
            Are you sure you have read the original post? Because it would appear you haven't. The original post refers to a friend who is a landlady.

Sounds like you think her lodgers' behaviour is reasonable. Glad you're not a lodger!

Comment

Because in English law penalty clauses in consumer contracts are not legal
              Then how come private parking companies are able to fine consumers?

Comment

They don', the apply a Penalty and claim it is a legit 'fine'.

Comment

Originally posted by bobwilson54 View Post
                  Then how come private parking companies are able to fine consumers?
                  They don't.
                  Their "fines" are technically invoices for parking.

They rely on notices that say that by parking somewhere you are agreeing to pay a fee for doing so, and they are simply invoicing you for that service.
                  They make the invoices look as much like parking tickets as possible, and offer discounts for quick settlement, but they're usually a con.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

wow so basically normal people are immune to contracts because they aren't presumed to know what they're agreeing to? oh my word.
                    To quote from memory Lady Hale in the bank charges case: The law allows a person to make an unwise choice but not an uninformed one.

The law does not just protect tenants and lodgers it protects everyone. The law which protects tenants and lodgers protects you and your friend when you book a holiday, get on a train, join a gym or instruct a letting agent.

Whilst "consumer law" may be of recent origin, the law has always looked carefully at situations where they see an imbalance of bargaining power between the parties or unreasonable provisions tucked away in the small print. The law does not interfere if you drive a hard bargain, but it will not let you make an unfair one.

Comment

Not at all.
                      Consumer law is designed to protect ordinary people from being taken advantage of.

Reasonable and fair terms in a fair market can be agreed to, and unreasonable and unfair terms can't.

If it were possible for companies and people to include unfair terms which made them money, everyone would do it, and it wouldn't be possible for anyone to avoid them.
                      If it were possible for suppliers to collude to fix pricing to increase profits, they would.
                      Consumer laws simply reset the balance of power a little.

Comment

Reasonable and fair terms in a fair market can be agreed to, and unreasonable and unfair terms can't.
                        It doesn't seem reasonable and fair for a landlady to be subjected to the onslaught of the behaviour & associated losses with no compensation.

Comment

Their "fines" are technically invoices for parking.
                          In which case, why can't the landlady do the same thing by putting signs up & and invoice for her time & losses caused by anyone who breaks the rules?

Comment

In which case, why can't the landlady do the same thing by putting signs up & and invoice for her time & losses caused by anyone who breaks the rules?
                            They could.
                            And they would lose any contested claims in exactly the same way that the parking firms lose pretty much every claim someone contests properly.
                            There's even a web site to process parking fine contests.

Some people would pay them because some people don't know their rights.

Comment

It doesn't seem reasonable and fair for a landlady to be subjected to the onslaught of the behaviour & associated losses with no compensation.
                              She can claim compensation for her losses, just not penalties on top of them.

Comment

She can claim compensation for her losses, just not penalties on top of them.
                                what about losses for her time? Each rule broken might sound small but when there's a large quantity of them the time she spends rectifying the problem and warning the lodger can easily rack up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Landlord pulling out
                                  by DPT57
                                  It's possible that the correspondence with the Agent, particularly their acceptance of your application and offer of the keys for Monday would be enough to form a contract, in which case they would be in breach of contract by not allowing you to take-up the tenancy. However, its possible that the Agent...
                                  02-04-2020, 15:57 PM
                                • Landlord pulling out
                                  by Charl2951
                                  I’m not sure if I’m in the right place but just wondering if anybody can help me please.
                                  I applied for a property that has been empty since December.. application accepted over night. I’m a single parent to two kids, a part time worker (earning 18 grand a year) and a post graduate doing...
                                  02-04-2020, 12:31 PM
                                • Reply to New 3 month rule...
                                  by Piptrees
                                  6 months for AST or periodic, or both??
                                  02-04-2020, 15:57 PM
                                • New 3 month rule...
                                  by Piptrees
                                  From today (26 March 2020) landlords will have to give all renters 3 months’ notice if they intend to seek possession (i.e. serve notice that they want to end the tenancy) –

My tenant had already given notice before 26th March that he wasn’t renewing his tenancy. If he can’t move...
                                  01-04-2020, 17:05 PM
                                • Reply to Move into a new rental property during this uncertain time
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  Re. Inventory if you do move in simply take LOADS AND LOADS of photos, ideally date-stamped. It's more a problem for the landlord if he can't prove what was there (eg 6 chairs..) or what condition (eg new, used, knackered..) so hard for him to claim any loss
                                  02-04-2020, 15:49 PM
                                • Move into a new rental property during this uncertain time
                                  by BellaLDN
                                  Trying to get an insight into whats happening with new tenancies starting shortly during this corona situation.

Friends sibling due to move into new flat in central london. Was viewed through an estate agency late jan / early feb (before corona drama), holding deposit given. References...
                                  01-04-2020, 19:56 PM
                                • Reply to Landlord in Distress
                                  by AndrewDod
                                  That's probably the rate of death from (as opposed to with) the virus in the UK right now. The big missing element in the whole thing is the denominator. You will notice that I said that this is probably (a guess) currently at around 3 million. The 0.1% (perhaps a little less) are dramatic, sad and...
                                  02-04-2020, 15:49 PM
                                • Landlord in Distress
                                  by Roydravid
                                  Hello ,

My tenant has stopped paying the rent on from the 5th of MArch 2020. This was the first month they stopped the rent . It is a period tenancy after one year tenancy agreement in 2018.
                                  The Tenant has changed the locks and denied access for inspection and essential works . ...
                                  25-03-2020, 06:26 AM
                                  by theartfullodger
                                  Scotland it's now 6 months... And anyway there's no s21 equivalent for tenancies for last couple of years.
                                  02-04-2020, 15:46 PM
                                  by DPT57
                                  Yes, although the Secretary of State did hint that this may be extended to 6 months....
                                  02-04-2020, 15:24 PM
                                Working...
                                X