Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

offers from aspiring landlords

Hello,

Presumably other people get these, and it isn't just us.....

With almost weekly regularity, we receive a written letter from a budding landlord, asking if we will do some kind of deal with them over one of our HMOs (they presumably got our details from the council's register).

We aren't actively looking to sell anything at this time.

I received a letter just before christmas and for some reason I mellowed, and called the number. A very nice lady told me confidently that she would be interested in renting the property from me as a whole. I then said that that kind of arrangement wasn't of interest to me and would she like to make me an offer to buy, and she said she would have to speak to 'her investors'.

I enquired further and apparently she was on a property training course, where people who can't afford their own deposit etc are taught a 'strategy' whereby they try to rent a whole HMO from a landlord (and in doing so, save that landlord time and hassle) and then try to make margin by renting the rooms at a premium. It is called "rent to rent" or R2R.

Has anyone ever come across a situation like this?

Are there any landlords who would be attracted to an arrangement like this? Are there any actual benefits to landlords - I'm not sure there are.

Do people really sell training courses with this sort of stuff in them?

Originally posted by wfd_property View Post
    Has anyone ever come across a situation like this?
    Yes, it's quite common and becoming more so.

Are there any landlords who would be attracted to an arrangement like this? Are there any actual benefits to landlords - I'm not sure there are.
    Yes and No.

Do people really sell training courses with this sort of stuff in them?
    Yes.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There are endless posts on here and elsewhere about rent to rent problems. I would run a mile from all these offers and if you dont want to operate an HMO any more, sell it.

Comment

The property "Gurus" charge thousands of pounds for this "advice" leaving prospective investors with a head full of ideas and an empty wallet.

I would steer well clear.

Comment

When people are selling courses that train people to operate in a field that they claim to be expert in and very profitable, you have to ask one question, "why are they encouraging competitors?".
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
            When people are selling courses that train people to operate in a field that they claim to be expert in and very profitable, you have to ask one question, "why are they encouraging competitors?".
            Love it. You are so right (as you invariably are).

Any more thoughts around this issue.

Comment

There is one particular 'guru' that operates at one of the landlord exhibitions I attended. He had a provocative seminar title to hook people in, plenty of assistants running around and he paced the aisles with his head-set trying to create an aura of professionalism. He took 40 mintues to explain the most basic tax issue imaginable, that had already been covered to the same extent in about 2 mins in the plenary session. He presented it as some secret that he had uncovered that 'they don't want you to know' and to my amazement, a handful of people bought the book he was selling as a result. I don't know if anyone signed up to his training course. I complained to the organisers and they did promise to drop him from future events, but I noticed his name appeared on the seminar list for the next event.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                Perhaps a more pertinent question with any 'Teach you how to make money' course is 'If it works so well then why are you selling courses about it instead of doing it yourself?'

And the answer is that the only money to be made is in selling dodgy courses to gullible punters.

(I have a good idea, oops it will never work, but it sounds good so I'll sell the idea itself to the gullible).

Feel sorry for those falling for it, even if they are now annoying you.

Comment

If a LL does go ahead with this R2R and rents out a whole property to LL2 who sublets individual rooms as HMO, to what is the extent of responsibility of the first LL towards LL2's tenants? Say making the property HMO-compliant in the first case, evicting LL2 but the other tenants are left behind, etc. Although his tenant is LL2 on paper, the property is on his name.
                  Sounds like a recipe for disaster should an incident happen...

Comment

Originally posted by wfd_property View Post
                    Are there any landlords who would be attracted to an arrangement like this?
                    None that are bright enough to read this forum.

Comment

When I started out 20 years ago all the seminars were pushing the no money down rent back model where you buy someone's house for a discount and rent back to them, using the paper discount as your deposit. I still can't believe that so many people fall for these ridiculous seminars, surely 10 minutes searching the internet would tell you everything you need to know about these so called gurus. I honestly believe that certain people just want to hear what they want to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by kelbol View Post
                        If a LL does go ahead with this R2R and rents out a whole property to LL2 who sublets individual rooms as HMO, to what is the extent of responsibility of the first LL towards LL2's tenants?
                        See here: https://www.anthonygold.co.uk/latest...-made-against/

And here: https://www.anthonygold.co.uk/latest...to-rent-scams/

Comment

Isn't this R2R the same thing as the council renting your home to others? Except for the council they're going to say they're different, so different laws apply. In any case, I know to stay well away from any type of R2R.

Comment

Yes it is...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Moving back into a property I rent out rooms in
                              by amy131
                              I moved into rented accommodation after returning to full time study and currently rent out all bedrooms in a house I own that had been my main residence. I have a residential mortgage with a consent to let. The tenants have ASTs which have gone past the fixed terms so are all rolling monthly now. One...
                              10-04-2020, 03:17 AM
                            • Reply to Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
                              by Stew
                              As mentioned above reading between the lines the agent may have contacted after yourself and applied some pressure with threat of eviction on behalf of the landlord. This is maybe the reason for the change of attitude.

Some RGI companies such as direct line (I believe) are not processing...
                              09-04-2020, 23:29 PM
                            • Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
                              by AustralianGuy
                              I have an investment property I have been renting out for five years. I use the services of a letting agent who provides a full management service. This includes vetting prospective tenants and providing a rental guarantee and eviction service if the tenants fail to pay the rent. It is expensive as...
                              08-04-2020, 19:51 PM
                            • Reply to Lodger eviction
                              by Stew
                              Hi I would check your lodger agreement, even if this was a HMO I don't believe she would be entitled to sleep on the sofa. Personally I would class this as unreasonble unless she is ill and cannot climb the stairs but you mention it's a flat.

Getting the other documents sent to your partners...
                              09-04-2020, 22:54 PM
                            • Lodger eviction
                              by 2Toasty
                              A lodger moved in to a spare room 2 months ago. I was going to be there 3/4 times a week. I live elsewhere. We share utility bills equally. What she didn't mention at the interview was that she is very asthmatic, convalescing from an op, and prone to chest infections. Aged 66, she is now on the very...
                              08-04-2020, 18:21 PM
                              by 2Toasty
                              Hi Stew Thanks for taking the time to answer, and all the other replies.

Yes it is my own place. Council tax paid by me, and all utilities in my name. Other statements go to my partner's place. She is not registered at my address with banks or anything else.

We have a...
                              09-04-2020, 22:07 PM
                            • Reply to Changing AST from joint to single
                              by rupert206
                              Thanks for all the responses so far. Appreciated. So the tenant who is currently living at the property has asked me that she wants a new ast in sole name as she is no longer with partner.

Do i tell her that i need a written letter from her partner who is no longer at the property? Once...
                              09-04-2020, 21:54 PM
                            • Changing AST from joint to single
                              by rupert206
                              Hi all,

I had a periodic AST with my tenants in a joint name. Recently the tenant has split up with her partner and has requested a new tenancy agreement to be drawn up in a single name.

Is this necessary or can the existing periodic agreement continue?

If it is...
                              09-04-2020, 17:46 PM
                              by Stew
                              Hi 2Toasty

So I noticed in your first post you wrote "I was going to be there 3/4 times a week", is this your own house that you bought and previously lived in full time and is the other place you stay a partners house and you have not legal ownership over it? - If this is the...
                              09-04-2020, 21:16 PM
                              by hamilton
                              No good deed goes unpunished!...
                              09-04-2020, 20:44 PM
                            Working...
                            X