Help with tenancy agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with tenancy agreement

Hello . I have rented a house out through a agent . The tenants have moved in without viewing the house and the agent has been around the house and confirmed it rentable etc . After 2 weeks of moving in the tenants said they found dust in the kitchen... quite understandable so paid for a cleaner . 2 days after they have contacted the agent and said they do not want to live here as there is one damp patch in one of the room, it’s not damp it’s just a ex smokers house and the brown patch appears in a small area. I offered to send a builder or allow them to send one in ? They have responded with they want last months rent back and are cancelling the agreement ? I do not want unhappy tennants but feel I have been given no chance to sort it and I’ve done nothing wrong . Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sounds like they've simply changed their minds are looking for an excuse to back out.

Firstly, remind them that they have (I assume) signed a X month AST contract which legally obliges them to pay their rent for X months

Secondly, arrange to come round and see the alleged damp patch, turn up with a qualified property surveyor in tow (probably best not to mention this before hand) and get him to confirm that's it's just a tobacco stain (or whatever)

Finally, no one wants unwilling tenants, so offer to let them out of the contract if they agree to pay for your costs in letting it in the first place, and pay for the cost of the house standing empty whilst you look for new tenants.

If they don't really want to be there best to let them go otherwise you may find yourself paying to fix an endless stream of apparent problems.

Don't forget to make sure your ass is covered (deposit protected? all proscribed rules complied with? EPG? Gas safety certificate?)

Comment

I would let them go and then sack the agent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X