No hot water in shower for 2 weeks (tenant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No hot water in shower for 2 weeks (tenant)

Hi All,

I'm hoping you guys can help me with some advice.

I've been without hot water in the shower for 2 weeks now. I notified the Landlord as soon as I noticed the issue and a plumber came 2 days later, but has since been struggling to resolve the issue (replacing various parts each with multiple day leadtimes). I have lived here for over a year now, and pay over £1000pm for 1 bedroom in a 3-bed HMO (London ), and know the landlord is prone to cutting corners in the past. I just can't believe there is any heating issue that only affects the shower that would take over 2 weeks to resolve, even over xmas period. The only way I can think is if the landlord opted, and continue to opted, to cheap out on plumber costs.

I thought I would come here to learn what your thoughts about what I should do, and whether my thought process is reasonable (or clouded in anger at the lack of hot water in my shower haha). What can I do to further escalate this? I'm worried I'm going to go another week or more without hot water still...

Is this a gas combination boiler?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
      Is this a gas combination boiler?
      Yes it looks like it

Comment

Is there a bath? If so the delay is more reasonable than if there isnt.

If you move to somewhere like Greenford in W London, £1000 will get you your own 1 bed flat

Comment

Is it just your shower, what about the other residents? Basin taps?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
            Is there a bath? If so the delay is more reasonable than if there isnt.

If you move to somewhere like Greenford in W London, £1000 will get you your own 1 bed flat
            It is a communal shower. 1 shower-bath for all residents.

Comment

Most of the fortnight was over Christmas, I'm impressed your landlord got a plumber at all!
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
                Is it just your shower, what about the other residents? Basin taps?
                It's a communal shower for all residents. Also has bath tub (though I would never use the bath tub in this communal setup...). All other taps in the flat have hot water. Though pretty sure it's a different line as the hot water through other taps in the flat have always been very finnicky (switches between scolding heat and ice cold randomly).

Comment

You could always buy one of those shower hoses that has rubber nozzles to fit over the bath taps.

Comment

Pretty impressive over Christmas and new year. You think you could have done better if it was the home you owned? Sounds as if plumber is trying. Things happen. Tough. If I were the landlordI would give you a small bit of compensation - maybe £2/day would be enough to get gym membership somewhere.

Comment

[Snugglasaurus] struggling to resolve the issue (replacing various parts each with multiple day lead times).

It does happen. One of gas engineer tells me stories trying to fix faults, other gas engineers cant fix. His opinion, not all are good at diagnosing faults. Most gas engineers love to fit new boilers (as it is easy), but when they go wrong, they struggle. They will change one part, then they get a call it has broken down again, then change another part and then change another. I don't think your landlord is cutting corners. The landlord is loosing out on changing unnecessary parts.

I recall a few years ago, I have to go through four gas engineers, to fix a boiler, which kept failing. It was a fairly new boiler.

Comment

Is it an electric shower? If so just check it's switched on at the wall or ceiling light pull.

Comment

I don't understand your aversion to the bath. Is it not in a lockable room? Whats the difference between using that and the shower?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit Issue
                            by jpkeates
                            If you do it sensibly, your tenant may well agree.

It's been years since I had anyone seriously challenge a claim I've made.
                            And I was probably a bit optimistic back then!
                            07-07-2020, 10:47 AM
                          • Deposit Issue
                            by tenantputney
                            Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Multiple Tenant

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy? July 2017

23-06-2020, 12:20 PM
                          • Reply to Newish landlord queries
                            by jpkeates
                            You need to work this out with the agent.
                            Some landlords like everything to be run past them, some set a limit which the agent can simply authorise - it's a matter of trust and practicality.

My agent runs anything over a limit past me, but uses emails, so I don't get interrupted if...
                            07-07-2020, 10:45 AM
                          • Newish landlord queries
                            by martysparty99
                            Hi all, first time here and looking for some general advice.

Be patient with me as I am a first time landlord!

Let my property back in feb, used an agent that I used to sell our house last year. He said he could do me a good deal on fully managed. 7% which I think is a good...
                            07-07-2020, 09:57 AM
                          • Reply to Newish landlord queries
                            by theartfullodger
                            Join NRLA and do courses on being a landlird:. Much cheaper than the alternative (lack of knowledge) in both time and money. Even with agent you remain responsible for everything (but may have a later claim against agent).

Have you very carefully read your agreement with agent to find...
                            07-07-2020, 10:11 AM
                          • Reply to Deposit Issue
                            by shoobydoo
                            Thank you. I will go for cleaning costs and will live in hope that the adjudicators may allow me something.
                            07-07-2020, 10:07 AM
                          • Reply to Suing the Guarantor (small claims court)
                            by jpkeates
                            You need to sue both of them, or just the tenant.
                            If you sue the guarantor, they have a simple defence, in that you haven't exhausted your attempts to recover the money from the tenant.
                            07-07-2020, 09:23 AM
                          • Suing the Guarantor (small claims court)
                            by hadiolar
                            Good morning,
                            Hope I can get some clarity to my issue
                            Background
                            Tenant left in April 2020 with monies owed (Court eviction active)
                            outstanding rent-£8000
                            damage to Ppty-£3000
                            letter before action sent to both tenant and guarantor -No response and no payment made...
                            07-07-2020, 08:03 AM
                          • Reply to Suing the Guarantor (small claims court)
                            by ash72
                            Which form are you using, you should be using the N1 form, or do it online, the max. you can claim in small £10k.

Success depends on your claim and how much supporting evidence you. Does the guarantor own a property? If so, I would be inclined to go for them, there is much more success...
                            07-07-2020, 09:07 AM
                          • Reply to small claim court
                            by islandgirl
                            I had a similar one - had a (non rent) business debt, did money claim online, person admitted debt and offered a stupid £5 a week which I refused. Had a physical hearing and was awarded the full amount. He did not pay - I put a charge on his house (he was a home owner) and went down the High Court...
                            07-07-2020, 08:54 AM
                          Working...
                          X