How to serve tenant notice in the best way possible so council helps her?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to serve tenant notice in the best way possible so council helps her?

Hi all,

I am a landlord in England and have notified my tenant that I will be serving her notice as I am selling my property.

The tenant and I have a good relationship and so I don't mind helping her out to leave as she relies on some council benefits to pay the rent (this is only recent). Would the best way to be to serve her a section 21 notice? At the end of the day, I will need the property vacated before it sells but as stated before, I don't mind helping her where I can.

The AST is in the final two months of the fixed term which is due to expire 01/03/2020.

What I don't want to do is hamper my efforts of selling the property with the tenant still being in their and so of course my needs come first.

Thanks,

Urty

If you want them out promptly, you need to find them new private sector accommodation. The council's aim will be to keep them in your property as long as legally possible.

Comment

I agree with leaseholder. The council will want her to stay until the bitter end ie section 21, court, bailiffs, and this will take a good 8 months-ish. The 'council' won't house her until she's homeless.

So the best thing to do would be to find her another private let. Is there a 'council' website you can go on to look (where people 'bid' for HA properties and any PRS properties)?

Comment

You have may good intentions, but you must not collude with the T in order for them to get re-housed, you could end up getting in trouble for your good deed. Serve the notice on the T, in the mean time you can give the T numbers of agents for them to find their own property. Beware the court system is slow, and if you need to follow through to the bailiff stage then be prepared for at least 4-6 months.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I know I need to think about myself on this matter and keep it strictly business. thanks again

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X