Any alternatives to British Gas for boiler insurance and gas safety checks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any alternatives to British Gas for boiler insurance and gas safety checks?

I insure two rental properties via BGs Homecare scheme. They have just sent me a email saying
    premiums will go up a cool 50%. ( both properties have newish boilers and I have not had to use the insurance part of the scheme for repairs. It’s all been very straightforward, I pay the premiums, they do the check once a year). I’m paying for peace of mind but now it’s too much. What are the alternatives? Thanks for any recommendations/ advice. I am not nearby so finding plumbers at short notice is always hard.

Your landlord's insurance provider may offer a similar service.

It may be worth giving BG a call.
    I have two properties with them (because they're not serviced by our agent) and one is about to renew with nowhere near that uplift in cost.
    The cost is a bit higher, but nowhere near 50% (otherwise I'd also switch).
    And I've made a small claim on one of mine.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I changed from BG as well as they hiked up the price 2 weeks ago on my renewal.

There's a number of companies who offer the same sort of policies but they contract the work out. I would contact a plumber see their recommendations etc, or neighbours in that area for referral, and keep it. Most boilers don't have issues until around 5/7 years but depends if your in a hard water area.

Comment

The single plus of this kind of insurance scheme (other than getting the gas check done) is the availability of central heating engineers in the autumn.

Most landlords can't give any tradesman enough business to be considered a regular and get any kind of priority.
        When the first cold spell means everyone turns their central heating on for the first time and lots of them find they don't work - and central heating engineers have too much work between then and Christmas.
        That's when your tenant tells you their heating isn't working and you need to get someone out in some kind of a reasonable time frame.
        Worth the premium just for that comfort.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X