Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending a tenancy early - Asthma

Hello,

I moved into a studio flat at the end of November, and after spending a few nights here I noticed I was suffering severe breathing issue - wheezing, blocked nose; I was also itching around my neck, my eyes, coughing and sneezing. I emailed my landlord immediately and asked if there cat been a cat In the property previously or if there was one downstairs - they said no cat was in here before, and downstairs does not have one but upstairs does.

I have now seen the downstairs flat letting a cat into their flat, and our flats are only separated by a small carpeted hallway (converted house into studios).

I have done everything I can think of - used silicone tape around the door to seal it off from the hallway, I have two air purifiers running 24/7, I bought allergen spray to neutralise allergens in the air, used mite and allergen powder on the sofa, washed the curtains, washed the walls and Im even burning eucalyptus oil to help me breathe.

Though my symptoms have reduced a tiny bit, they are by no means gone and there are points where I am incredibly uncomfortable with my breathing - it’s wheezy and audible. For the first time in 10 years I’ve been given inhalers, and the dr even told me to go to A&E!

I have not experienced this ever, and I have not had breathing issues for 10 years. Shortly after leaving the property, my breathing returns to normal. I can’t find mould anywhere, though there was water leaking through a light the other day and the wall / ceiling got damp (but no sign of mould).

When I first told the landlord my breathing was dodgy here, they offered to get me a new sofa bed (no idea why as they said a cat hadn’t been here) then they never followed up.

I’ve been here a month, but my quality of life is just non existent; even when drugging myself up with antihistamine and inhalers + everything else, I cannot create a consistent environment where I can rnatjw normally.

Is it reasonable for me to ask the landlord if they will end my tenancy early? I’ve said I understand they will not want to ask long standing tenants to remove their pets, so it will be easier if I leave. I will
    offer to find a new tenant and live here until they can move in, but I’m worried my landlord might say no or charge me a huge amount. Do you think the landlord is likely to accept? If I find a new tenant for the landlord and live here until they move in, what other costs are I likely to incur?

Thanks,
    Joseph

Not unreasonable to ask.but your asthma is not due to anything LL did/not do and could demand remainder ofFixed Term rent and remainder of PeriodicRent due.
    Many Ts do not inform LL of pets.
    Please complete & paste https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ll-new-posters.

Comment

If you ask the landlord they might do a deep clean of the property - it's worth an ask.

Comment

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)? England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only? Sole tenant

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy? 30/11/19

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months / other)? 12 months, 6 month break clause

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)? PCM

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)? Yea

Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date the notice was sent/received (dd/mm/yy).

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant? No

Well my asthma is of course due to genetics, so the landlord did not GIVE me asthma, but it is also not something I can change. The trigger for my asthma is however because the landlord has allowed people to keep cats. Should I be expected to to cohabit with something that can actually put me at risk of death? and when you say remained of periodic rent due,
        you mean despite them agreeing to let somebody else take over the contract and me sourcing them, they can ask for rent for the fixed period even with somebody else living here? That doesn’t sound reasonable

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
          If you ask the landlord they might do a deep clean of the property - it's worth an ask.
          The flat itself was deep cleaned before I moved in apparently, but that’s the issue - the cat dander must be coming in from the flat next to mine, which is a losing battle for me. If it’s been done once, asking again just seems like a waste of money for the landlord.

Comment

If it's been deep cleaned I don't think there's much more the landlord could do. You could ask for an early termination and whether or not your landlord would agree would depend, I suppose, on how easy it would be to relet. Worth an ask though.

Comment

guaranteed the flat would be let again instantly. I had to battle 10 people to get the flat the first day it was let. London is savage!

Comment

I hope your landlord is understanding and that you find somewhere cat free

Comment

Did you advise the LL hen you applied that you have a cat allergy?

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPiper View Post
                    Should I be expected to to cohabit with something that can actually put me at risk of death?
                    Whether you continue to live there is your choice but having a cat allergy does not cancel your contractual obligation to the landlord. You should negotiate but expect to have to pay the landlords full costs if they agree to release you early.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X