X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by jamescat View Post
    anyone have and idea how much it would cost to replace joists in terraced house?
    Lots.
    But those joists look OK to me.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Belt and braces, do both.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Nah! just screw 'em down!

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Those joists look pretty new, you might want to look instead at isolating the floorboards from the joists.

It can be done simply with acoustic strip, but of course means taking up the floorboards, putting the strip on the joists, and relaying the boards. (And may also mean raising any skirting boards to take account of the strip thickness).

Here is just one such product, google will find many more:
    https://www.insulationshop.co/50mm_a...ing_strip.html

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    From your photographs there doesn't appear to be any rot. It doesn't look like you need to replace joists. Your photo looks like you have removed a floorboard from the upstairs floor and we can see the plasterboard of the ceiling below.

I suspect that your wooden floorboards have become loose. They sometimes do this over time and especially after having central heating pipes put in and electric wires. Workmen tend not to replace them as securely as we need.

I suggest you screw the floorboards down using wood screws. This is easy to do but you MUST be careful not to screw through electric wires, gas pipes, or central heating pipes. You'll know immediately if you do!

Some people (like my boys' Dad) are just heavy on their feet so loose and squeaky boards are activated when they stomp by, but not when people with fairy feet (like me) barely touch the ground.

Leave a comment:

• jamescat
    replied
    Maybe anyone have and idea how much it would cost to replace joists in terraced house?
    I just would like to know just in case.
    Thanks for all info guys.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    You are the Property owner and liable to maintain it as per any other owner-occupier. The Rent a Room Allowance would barely compensate you for losing your 25% Tax Rebate for sole occupancy, but it can help if 2 losgers are paying rent.
    Do you have an Accountant for advice, as I guessing English is not your native language?

Leave a comment:

• jamescat
    replied
    Here are pictures I managed to take in the corner of one of the rooms at the door,I will have a good look at the rest of the floor after they will go and I will move furniture to different room.I was also thinking to add extra joist connectors or how it calls. And maybe extra joists. If I am going there I can try to make it stronger for future. Also I want to add soundproof wool,or it's better to keep this gap free to keep airflow?

Leave a comment:

• jamescat
    replied
    p.s.by the way please don't try to make me feel guilty. I am the victim here.I am trying to make some extra cash by offering people good accommodation. I am not forcing anyone to live at my place and with me. So if someone is not happy with me,my cat or anything else they can leave anytime. I am not making anyone homeless. They can rent anytime anywhere,but I will have to coop with all eventual damages,tear and wear and other.And also when they leave I will still have to pay my bills and not getting any income from them when they leave.Being a landlord is not only collecting money.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Also check for dry rot.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs Mug
    replied
    Originally posted by jamescat View Post
    house is terraced house build in 1955.Floor seem to be originally from 1955 so weird what it's suddenly starting to have problems after all these years(
    Check the floor for wood worm.

Leave a comment:

• jamescat
    replied
    I renting rooms in my house since 2011,and so far the floor was ok,just for past maybe 1 year I noticed what floor is getting loose.
    This woman and other guy lives at mime 3 years. So it seems they did it.I gave them notice today and noticed straight away what she is putting even more effort to make heavy steps.
    I wonder can I make them leave faster? I gave them notice till 1-2 of February as they paid till 1-2.
    I also wonder will I be able to claim for floor damage?- probably no,what is why they doing so-because it's almost impossible to proof.
    So I will have to wait next 3 weeks watching them braking the floors and after starting to fix it.
    p.s.by the way maybe you guys know someone who can give me quotation on fixing the floors please?

p.s, house is terraced house build in 1955.Floor seem to be originally from 1955 so weird what it's suddenly starting to have problems after all these years I am afraid I can only watch them leaving and maybe refrain from taking other lodgers and just get extra hours at work instead.
    by the way this can happen to people renting whole houses.

I hope this post will help other landlords in some way.Maybe it will at least teach them of extra potential hazard of renting something.

Leave a comment:

• Hudson01
    replied
    Maybe your floor is not as well laid as you thought and the extra '' traffic ' is causing it some issues, either way i would think it unlikely that a lodger would be trying to damage a floor he lives in by jumping or walking '' hard'', maybe lodgers are simply not for you.

Leave a comment:

• jamescat
    replied
    Ok. Thank you for advice. I am looking for someone who could have a look at the floors.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Why would they be jumping on the floor? Floors are supposed to withstand jumping anyway. Are you sure there isnt another explanation for what's happening? Have you checked with a flooring expert? If you did and they said someone has been jumping on it then you would have the evidence you need to claim compensation from the lodger. If they said there is some other cause then you wouldnt need to make someone homeless because of a moment of paranoia about what they're getting up to while you're at work.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
    by Stew
    As mentioned above reading between the lines the agent may have contacted after yourself and applied some pressure with threat of eviction on behalf of the landlord. This is maybe the reason for the change of attitude.

Some RGI companies such as direct line (I believe) are not processing...
    09-04-2020, 23:29 PM
  • Coronavirus - no rent payments due to self-isolation
    by AustralianGuy
    I have an investment property I have been renting out for five years. I use the services of a letting agent who provides a full management service. This includes vetting prospective tenants and providing a rental guarantee and eviction service if the tenants fail to pay the rent. It is expensive as...
    08-04-2020, 19:51 PM
  • Reply to Lodger eviction
    by Stew
    Hi I would check your lodger agreement, even if this was a HMO I don't believe she would be entitled to sleep on the sofa. Personally I would class this as unreasonble unless she is ill and cannot climb the stairs but you mention it's a flat.

Getting the other documents sent to your partners...
    09-04-2020, 22:54 PM
  • Lodger eviction
    by 2Toasty
    A lodger moved in to a spare room 2 months ago. I was going to be there 3/4 times a week. I live elsewhere. We share utility bills equally. What she didn't mention at the interview was that she is very asthmatic, convalescing from an op, and prone to chest infections. Aged 66, she is now on the very...
    08-04-2020, 18:21 PM
    by 2Toasty
    Hi Stew Thanks for taking the time to answer, and all the other replies.

Yes it is my own place. Council tax paid by me, and all utilities in my name. Other statements go to my partner's place. She is not registered at my address with banks or anything else.

We have a...
    09-04-2020, 22:07 PM
  • Reply to Changing AST from joint to single
    by rupert206
    Thanks for all the responses so far. Appreciated. So the tenant who is currently living at the property has asked me that she wants a new ast in sole name as she is no longer with partner.

Do i tell her that i need a written letter from her partner who is no longer at the property? Once...
    09-04-2020, 21:54 PM
  • Changing AST from joint to single
    by rupert206
    Hi all,

I had a periodic AST with my tenants in a joint name. Recently the tenant has split up with her partner and has requested a new tenancy agreement to be drawn up in a single name.

Is this necessary or can the existing periodic agreement continue?

If it is...
    09-04-2020, 17:46 PM
    by Stew
    Hi 2Toasty

So I noticed in your first post you wrote "I was going to be there 3/4 times a week", is this your own house that you bought and previously lived in full time and is the other place you stay a partners house and you have not legal ownership over it? - If this is the...
    09-04-2020, 21:16 PM
    by hamilton
    No good deed goes unpunished!...
    09-04-2020, 20:44 PM
  • Reply to Experiences with subletting?
    by hamilton
    Check that your landlord allows it. If so, you'd use a lodger agreement. That means you can ask the person to leave pretty easily if it goes bad. You can also take a deposit equal to a month's rent, and then use that if they miss a rental payment or cause any damage. It doesn't have to be protected....
    09-04-2020, 20:43 PM
Working...
X