landlord has destroyed my belongings before end of tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Hmm. Well frankly the stuff that o/p complains about losing, sounds like it was fit for the bin.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Also, why is there an assumption that keys were returned. I've read and reread the OP and come to the conclusion keys weren't returned. Especially since the OP says "today my partner went to get some of the stuff", so unless the partner broke the door down, smashed a window, went down the chimney, then they would have had to have had keys to enter.

Comment

I asked about that, and o/p confirmed they didn't return the keys.

All that discussion is faux outrage about my 'attitude'.

Comment

I don't think anyone was outraged by your "attitude" were they?

Comment

Because returning the keys surrenders the tenancy.
          I was actually asking about your statement
          Well someone must have given the landlord the impression you had moved out.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

I was actually asking about your statement
            I think we've done this subject to death, haven't we?

O/P has obviously got over the loss of her old passport and bank statements, as she hasn't been back here for 4 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Welshie View Post

I don't think anyone was outraged by your "attitude" were they?
              That's why I said 'faux outrage'.

Comment

Hmm. Well frankly the stuff that o/p complains about losing, sounds like it was fit for the bin.
                It wasn't actually. It was all things I wanted to keep, including some items of high sentimental value.

We settled the matter with the landlord directly, who agreed to pay damages.

Comment

Good to know and thanks for letting us know.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

wow what a bizzare story, what on earth was the landlord thinking? Any form of finger pointing or excuse wont get them out of this pickle, they are 100% in the wrong and i would be chasing damages against them, including a full deposit return.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My tenant lied to me
                      by theartfullodger
                      As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
                      03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
                    • My tenant lied to me
                      by Uklondoner
                      My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
                      03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
                    • Reply to Access to sheds
                      by DPT57
                      Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
                      03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
                    • Access to sheds
                      by endymion
                      Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
                      03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
                      by Uklondoner
                      Thanks so much !...
                      03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
                      by AndrewDod
                      Then you need to go the route I said. Unless there is a lease which specifically defines the demise of Flat X that includes the shed(s) there is no reason at all to explicitly exclude anything....
                      03-06-2020, 16:17 PM
                      by nukecad
                      As it's UC then as a landlord you need to submit a form UC47 to apply to the DWP for a 'Managed Payments to Landlord', which can include an amount for arrears.
                      However any repayment of arrears granted will be on a 'pay back at so much a month' basis.

UC47's can now be submitted online....
                      03-06-2020, 15:51 PM
                      by endymion
                      Well, partly, but mainly I'm considering whether the sheds would have to be explicitly excluded from the tenancy in the AST. It's a question of what would be considered the default position in law....
                      03-06-2020, 14:53 PM
                      by endymion
                      Interesting. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Nonetheless, if the deeds stipulate that the sheds are part of the flat, rather than communal, surely that's quite a different matter....
                      03-06-2020, 14:52 PM
                      by MdeB
                      I believe the OP is coming from the position of:
                      • The LL has granted us the right, beyond the tenancy agreement, to use two sheds.
                      • Would the law consider that having granted that use, the LL cannot unilaterally withdraw the use of those sheds?
                      03-06-2020, 14:48 PM
                    Working...
                    X