Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mariner
    replied
    The LL does not have to provide his own home address for Service of Notices, but can use any address from where such Notices can be collected/forwarded within a few days. I think it is only a Crminal Offence if THAT address is not included in the AST. Many LLs are wary of giving their Home address tor their local T's..

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Reallyfeduptenant View Post

I don't have an up to date address for the LL, I have asked but not been given it hence relying on texts
    1. Then where will the improvement notice be served?
    2. I would suggest texting LL asking for his address and saying that you understand that it is a criminal offence not to provide it within 21 days.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    That might mean that the landlord becomes liable for the Council tax. You could check with the CT office if you get to the point where there's nothing to lose

Leave a comment:

• Reallyfeduptenant
    replied
    It's not noted in the tenancy, unfortunately.

Permission was never given and was never asked for the stuff just never got moved. It has limited our storage space but we have just had to work round it.

Alot of the things that were said to us prior to moving in have not been truthful, sadly.

I don't have an up to date address for the LL, I have asked but not been given it hence relying on texts so I have atleast some proof. I know that is not ideal as you can't beat good old pen and paper!

I have phoned shelter, I don't fall into the category of homeless immediately or in the next 2 months so was told to look online. No section 21 has been issued...yet.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    I trust you have written (yes WRITTEN ! - keep copy) about all these matters to the landlord? Both repairs & also his storing stuff. Why on earth are you permitting him to store ALL that stuff in ALL those areas? As he's excluding your access to those areas he should be paying all the council tax - but unless it is noted on tenancy agreement you might not win that fight. Guidance & draft letter here..
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ivate_landlord

And put in letter he's not to let himself unless he has your prior written permission - which you are not yet giving. That sounds like harassment: But you need to write instructing him not to.

Are you getting support from local Citizens advice or Shelter, the experts on landlord/tenant matters, 0808 800 4444: Open until 20:00 today & 365 days a year - see
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help/helpline

Best wishes, hope things get better.

Leave a comment:

• Reallyfeduptenant
    replied
    jpkeates,

I told the LL that if it was all sorted I would happily stay but the LL wouldn't commit to sorting the issues.
    There are other issues not mentioned before eg LL letting himself in, parts of the property that we pay rent for are being used by LL to store stuff, 3 sheds and loft space.
    I have honestly lost all faith now after lots of broken promises and feel it would be better to move on.

Leave a comment:

• Reallyfeduptenant
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    I trust you have some form of heating? Any decent landlord with a failed heating system would provide e.g. electric oil-filled radiators, possibly make a contribution to increased heating costs.
    There is heating although it is not efficient at all. Three rooms have no heating at all. Nothing provided but I have borrowed some oil rads.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I'd suggest that it's in the best interest of both landlord and tenant to find a way forward together.
    Finding another 7 bedroom property is only slightly more difficult than letting a 7 bedroom property without it being an HMO.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    I trust you have some form of heating? Any decent landlord with a failed heating system would provide e.g. electric oil-filled radiators, possibly make a contribution to increased heating costs.

Leave a comment:

• Reallyfeduptenant
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
    Section 21 is off the table for at least six months.
    Ok, thank you

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Section 21 is off the table for at least six months.

Leave a comment:

• Reallyfeduptenant
    replied
    I have spoken to the EH officer and it is category 1 improvement notice.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    You should get a copy (chances are it hasn't been sent yet).

Give them a call - explain why you want it to be a serious notice!

Leave a comment:

• Reallyfeduptenant
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Who's he and have you seen the notice - it's very important.
    The environmental health officer, I haven't seen the notice so I am unsure of what its says at the moment although I'm not sure that I will even get a copy.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by Reallyfeduptenant View Post
    Ok thank you.

He just said a hazard notice for no heating, and a significant leak. 4 weeks to repair.
    Who's he and have you seen the notice - it's very important.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord withdrawing before start of tenancy
    by plsdowork
    Hi all,

I was due to start a new AST with my current landlord (and a new housemate) from August 1st. It had all been arranged by email, with the only conditions explicitly stated being getting a suitable reference. No mention was made of there being an agreement to be drawn up in the future,...
    03-07-2020, 13:25 PM
  • Reply to Tenant demanding new carpets - is it my responsibility?
    by royw
    The tenant needs to understand you won't replace anything unless you have seen it first. Be aware that the smell can get into the floorboards too and is difficult to get rid of. Depending which room it is tiles may be a better option.
    03-07-2020, 13:04 PM
  • Tenant demanding new carpets - is it my responsibility?
    by HDPM
    Hi there,

I am new to this site, so I'm sorry if I have posted this topic in the wrong forum!

I have a tenant who is demanding I pay for new carpets to be fit to hallway/staircase and one bedroom as she uplifted and removed them due to 'damp'. From what I have seen from pictures,...
    02-07-2020, 15:51 PM
  • Reply to Joint Contract and Leaving the property
    by jpkeates
    To be exact, the earliest you can serve notice is 10th September, which means that the earliest the tenancy can be ended by you is 8th December.

However, most landlords/agents don't know the regulations - so you'll probably be OK if you serve notice to expire on 8th November.
    03-07-2020, 12:42 PM
  • Joint Contract and Leaving the property
    by Kami_SKVA
    Hello everyone,

I am in a hurry and in a bad situation.

I want to move out and my flatmate wants to stay. We are not bound by any clause, our contract terminates by 8th September. I want to submit my 2 months' notice period, she wants to stay.

The agency is...
    30-06-2020, 12:57 PM
  • Reply to Deposit Cap Refund
    by jpkeates
    You could sue them via the small claims court for the money.
    You could report them to trading standards.
    Or both.
    03-07-2020, 12:37 PM
  • Deposit Cap Refund
    by prm70115
    Hello everyone,

I am a tenant who renewed my AST for a sixth month period commencing 21 January 2020. The previous term was for 12 months. The deposit taken in January 2019 was the equivalent of 8 weeks rent and was protected within one of the deposit protection schemes with the relevant...
    02-07-2020, 09:12 AM
  • Reply to Joint Contract and Leaving the property
    by Kami_SKVA
    Thank you for this. In a case, this does not work, how the periodic joint tenancy works?
    If my fixed contract ends on 8th September and we have 2 months' notice period:

a) can I submit my 2 months' notice period in August, hence it will end the tenancy by 8th October (first month...
    03-07-2020, 12:10 PM
  • Reply to Tenants not on the Tenancy Agreement
    by Redmillrythe
    He has only just moved in and she wasn’t mentioned. I specifically asked who was going to live in the property as we had a nightmare tenant prior to this one. Only just got the house back to a habitable state.
    so yes I think he has lied.
    Thanks for all your comments....
    03-07-2020, 11:56 AM
  • Tenants not on the Tenancy Agreement
    by Redmillrythe
    Hi , please could I have advice? I have a new tenant in my property. The tenancy agreement was for him and on the understanding that he would have a young daughter visit every other weekend.
    I had to send in a workman for a couple of repairs and in the course of conversation it became apparent...
    03-07-2020, 06:18 AM
Working...
X