Mold in a flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mold in a flat

New tenant moves, newly decorated flat. Now I have mold and she has involved the local council and wants compensation. I have been in an painted with anti-mold paint and had a Cedarcare round to advise and report. Council meeting me there next week on Tuesday so I can get the all clear on the work recommended.
    Can she deduct rent and ask for compensation?

I've just had the very same thing happen to me today, only I'm a step ahead of you.

The environmental health officer came out today and was surprisingly pleasant.

He saw through my tenants tactics of delaying my access until after the inspection had taken place.

The officer will send me a report but has Bethany l verbally suggested I install humidistat fans (around £30 each).

I doubt you would need to pay any compensation

The council mark the hazards as category 1 and category 2. Category 1 has to be dealt with swiftly.

Comment

As long as there's no penetrating water it's a lifestyle problem. They need to put the heating on, open the widow and not dry washing on radiators. You usually get a tide mark if it's from water getting in.

Comment

We can only assume mould may be caused by 'lifestyle'.
        For a pre-notified inspection, it is unlikely T is drying laundry on rads or moved furniture for adequate ventilation.
        As LL you should be invited to attend - so do so.

Comment

Compensation? Yeah, but from tenant to you, surely for making your property mouldy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Bakshi View Post
            New tenant moves, newly decorated flat. Now I have mold and she has involved the local council and wants compensation. I have been in an painted with anti-mold paint and had a Cedarcare round to advise and report. Council meeting me there next week on Tuesday so I can get the all clear on the work recommended.
            Can she deduct rent and ask for compensation?
            Is she the judge and jury?

As far as mold, if it's new / recent, a little bleach and scrubbing will kill it off. Open the windows...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X