Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy end date question, change of rent due date

Hi guys

just a quick question. Tenant changed rent due date from 6th of the month to 12th, due to change in her employers payment date.

She gave notice on the 19th November to the letting agent that she wanted to vacate on the 13th December, however this was not in writing, nor was it 30 days.

(Tenancy is periodic, rent is paid monthly)

When I highlighted this to the letting agent Her leaving date was changed to 24 December. My letting agent says this is quite acceptable notice when I suggested notice should now actually be 11th January. They feel the notice given, if I stuck to this would be 43 days (up to the 6th January) and that this is unreasonable. If it’s going to cause problems then I will concede but I am annoyed at the letting agent for not being more on the ball and for making me out to be the baddie.

My questions are
    1) just for future reference, is anyone aware if the change of rent payment date legally takes precedent over the ast. Ie the ast states rent should be paid on the 6th, but this has since been changed to the 12th in practice, but the ast remains unchanged?
    2) do most of you stick to 30 days falling on a rent due date or are you happy with just 30 days.

thanks for any help!

Its never a good idea to formally change the rent date for this reason. Better to just give verbal permission to pay on a later date. Do you know how the date was changed? Did the tenant pay a partial month and then full months rent on the new date? I would just accept this notice this time as it might be impossible to guarantee the outcome if you challenge it. Instruct the Agent not to do this in future.

Comment

Thanks for your replyDPT57. As far as I am aware the date was changed verbally and the tenant paid extra in the month prior to the change. Ie say 6th March to 11th April. Then paid 12th thereafter.

are you therefore saying notice should be on the 6th January?

Comment

As the change of rent day was a change of the core terms it should have been executed as a deed for the complete avoidance of doubt. As this change was done verbally the evidence the rent day changed is one persons word against another. Assume for a moment the period of the tenancy remains 6th to 5th then the tenant's notice to quit (NTQ) must always be in writing, must always be for at least one calendar month and must expire on the last day of a period (5th) or the first day of a period (6th).

Comment

Following on....a valid NTQ served on 19th November should have expired on 5th January or 11th January (depending on which rent day you accept is correct) but would have only been valid if the NTQ had a savings clause otherwise the agent should have rejected it as invalid.

Comment

Thanks for this cymro123, really helpful!

Comment

The agreed rent payment date, and the tenancy dates have nothing to do with each other (unless you took elaborate steps, agreed with the tenant to do so). You did not take such steps. You simply agreed to accept late rent.

She will owe rent until the 5th unless you negotiate otherwise and accept their notice - tenancies are bought in full months.

Your agent is an idiot and is acting outside of their remit if they agreed otherwise on your behalf - ask them to pay the difference themselves if they inappropriately contracted with the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by nessa View Post
                1) just for future reference, is anyone aware if the change of rent payment date legally takes precedent over the ast. Ie the ast states rent should be paid on the 6th, but this has since been changed to the 12th in practice, but the ast remains unchanged?
                2) do most of you stick to 30 days falling on a rent due date or are you happy with just 30 days.
                1. As has been said above, don't change the rent payment date, and certainly don't take a part-month payment if you do change rent payment date; this leads to problems when either side wants to end the tenancy, and to legal uncertainty.
                  If there is a need for the tenant to shift the payment date by a few days, then agree that rent will not be considered late if it is paid by Xth of the month, but if it is not paid by that date, the interest is payable from the rent due date.
                2. The law says at least 30 days notice or one rental period's notice ending on the last day of a rental period, so in your case that is at least one month's notice.
                So
                • Your agent is wrong and is not acting in your best interests.
                • But if your agent has accepted the notice, then that is binding on you.
                • Sounds like time to find an agent that knows what they are doing and what their duty to you is.

Comment

Being agent's advocate, they probably thought they were acting in the landlord's interest when they negotiated an extra payment to cover the date change - my agent has done this "for me".

In future I've asked them not to do that and just to let me know on what date the rent due on day x will actually arrive. As long as I get 12 monthly payments in a year, I'm happy. They were surprised.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

When a tenancy is periodic changing the rent payment date does not change the date on which a notice to quit must expire.That is because tenancy periods and rental periods are two distinct things, though ideally they should coincide.

In the case of a statutory periodic tenancy the first day of the first period is always the day after the fixed term ends (assuming it ends at midnight). Any notice to quit must be drawn up accordingly. When the rent is payable is ignored. It is advisable when drawing up a tenancy agreement to make sure it ends on the last day of a rental period.

Comment

Thanks to you all for your sound advice! Tenant is now vacating on the 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by nessa View Post
                        however this was not in writing
                        I've just noticed this.

If notice is not in writing, then it has no legal standing and leaves LL open to possible accusation of illegal eviction.

No agent that knows what they are doing would "accept" notice that is not in writing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant lost keys - rekeying lock?
                          by LondonLover
                          3 sharers with joint and several liability AST.
                          One lost her keys.

I told her, and all the tenants, at the beginning of the tenancy that they are responsible for their keys, and that loss would necessitate rekeying the lock.

I also emphasised that these are Banham security...
                          21-01-2020, 09:55 AM
                        • Reply to when can i leave after sec 21 served
                          by JK0
                          Well, I think you'd be silly not to try to get contact details from the agent. Call in and tell them you want the address, and you're not leaving the shop until you get it.

Have a look what happened to my tenants for no reason, because they did not contact me: https://forums.landlordzo...
                          21-01-2020, 09:53 AM
                        • when can i leave after sec 21 served
                          by Shelly24
                          hi,
                          i have had a section 21 notice served on my by my landlord. It says on there the last day of the tenancy is April 12th.
                          Can i leave before April 12th? Do i still need to give a notice? If so does it still have to be from the date i pay rent?
                          Thank you
                          20-01-2020, 20:34 PM
                        • Reply to Section 21 & selfish landlord
                          by jpkeates
                          The sentence that begins "If it's a periodic tenancy" is wrong.

In practice it doesn't really matter, as Berlingogirl points out, because if you don't move out until the end of the time that you've paid rent for, there's not much the landlord can do in practice.
                          But it's...
                          21-01-2020, 09:24 AM
                        • Section 21 & selfish landlord
                          by Policy reader
                          Hi.
                          what should be done where you have been honestly paying the rent without even delaying a single day and also keeping the property well cleaned & maintained. But now due to your pregnancy & delivery happening very soon the selfish landlord has served you section 21 to empty the property...
                          05-01-2020, 12:55 PM
                          by jpkeates
                          If you want to leave early, there's nothing stopping you.
                          If you give your own notice, the council will be less happy to help you.

From a practical point of view it will be difficult for the landlord to evict you so they may be happy to negotiate an earlier end.
                          21-01-2020, 09:17 AM
                        • Reply to Repairs under warranty
                          by jpkeates
                          In which case, probably.
                          You're responsible for the lock (unless the tenant damaged it).

It's the same as any other repair.

I'm not too sure why you'd think otherwise, so I am a bit concerned I've missed something....
                          21-01-2020, 09:13 AM
                        • Repairs under warranty
                          by bazzeruk
                          We had the door lock changed on our property, which is managed by the letting agent.

The lock was faulty after a few weeks and had to be changed.

We are being charged for the call - out

Is that right?
                          20-01-2020, 15:53 PM
                          by Berlingogirl
                          Your landlord won't necessarily evict you. Your landlord might be in Italy but she's still only an email away. The house over the road might well be asking more rent but that doesn't mean your landlord wants more rent - a stable tenant paying the rent is what every landlord wants.

In your...
                          21-01-2020, 08:54 AM
                          by Shelly24
                          no i have no contact details for the landlord, she lives in Italy.
                          Apparently it is down to her insurance? Because i cant pass referencing and im on benefits now.
                          What i think is the agent has spoken to the landlord and said one has left, shes on her own, bad credit, this usually turns...
                          21-01-2020, 07:56 AM
                        Working...
                        X