Advice Please - Hand Rails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Please - Hand Rails

Teneats have been in my property for six months. This is looked after by an agency. They are now saying that I need to have two handrails on the stairs and want to charge me for the installation. Does anybody know if this must be done legally?

Originally posted by kbrown2 View Post
    Teneats have been in my property for six months. This is looked after by an agency. They are now saying that I need to have two handrails on the stairs and want to charge me for the installation. Does anybody know if this must be done legally?
    Are they disabled?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Other than the disabled thing, what's the situation? Is this an ordinary internal staircase, which has no current handrails? Are we talking two handrails either side of the same stairs, or just one rail over two sections of stairs? Roughly how old is the property or any major building works (relevant to building regs)?

Comment

Hand Rails?

What is Hand Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by katherinewilliam View Post
          What is Hand Rails?
          No, the OP said "handrails" - it was an obvious typo for "mandrails" - these are baboon-like apes which we landlords over in Europe (which FYI is a small place to the northeast of New York) are obliged to provide our tenants with to guard the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            No, the OP said "handrails" - it was an obvious typo for "mandrails" - these are baboon-like apes which we landlords over in Europe (which FYI is a small place to the northeast of New York) are obliged to provide our tenants with to guard the property.
            If there is a shortage of mandrails, is it ok to use chimps, or is there some govenment policy stating that it's mandrails or nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
              If there is a shortage of mandrails, is it ok to use chimps, or is there some govenment policy stating that it's mandrails or nothing?
              It's cheap as chimps.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                Other than the disabled thing, what's the situation? Is this an ordinary internal staircase, which has no current handrails? Are we talking two handrails either side of the same stairs, or just one rail over two sections of stairs? Roughly how old is the property or any major building works (relevant to building regs)?
                The tenants are not disabled. This is an ordinary staircase with one handrail currently. The property is 25 years old.

Comment

Handrails are used on the staircase.

Comment

The tenants are not disabled. This is an ordinary staircase with one handrail currently. The property is 25 years old.
                    If it is in a reasonable condition and as safe as might be expected, you as L have no duty to add handrails merely because T requests.

Comment

Originally posted by katherinewilliam View Post
                      What is Hand Rails?
                      So what do American use as the word for a bannister to which one can hold-on when ascending a staircase?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        So what do American use as the word for a bannister to which one can hold-on when ascending a staircase?
                        A can of beer ?

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
                          A can of beer ?
                          Strewth, cobber, not a tinny of Fosters?

Comment

a can of beer is four words not one!

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman
                              Councils can insist on them for loft rooms for HMOs.
                              ...but can T?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X