Damp due to guttering / Which trades person is required for replacing guttering

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Damp due to guttering / Which trades person is required for replacing guttering


    I'm hoping someone can help. I'm a landlady and there is some damp in my rental property, in the main bedroom.

    The damp is on one side of the bedroom wall. The guttering down pipe outside runs down from the wall where there is damp.

    As a result, I think the damp is a result of the gutters being blocked, which has caused the rainwater to overflow and seep from the outside wall to the inside wall of the bedroom.

    The gutters have now been cleared. However, I need to get rid of the damp. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the damp. The property is currently unoccupied.

    In addition, I need a trades person to come and put a new guttering downpipe in as the current one has a hole at the bottom. Which trades person would I contact for this? E.g. Plumber

    Many thanks


    Warmth and ventilation should dry out the damp.
    guttering- a general DIY person can do that. If the downpipe is plastic? It can be cut in situ above the hole, and a joiner piece (£2 ?) Slipped on and the damaged piece replaced with new. £10 educated guess for parts + labour.
    Wickes etc have the bits.
    Cast iron is more of a faff, much more expensive and time consuming but you can replace the cast with plastic if looks are important.


      A dehumidifier will gradually dry the damp out, but it's going to take a while.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Typically a roofer would be the person I employ to do guttering. Some of my colleagues use a guttering specialist, but my roofer is excellent at solving these issues.


          I second using heating and ventilation, but not space heating ie convection heating from say wet system radiators etc as it will cost a fortune and take a long time. Try a FAR InfraRed heating panel directed at the wall. This is assuming that your wall is solid, I am assuming that it is (the property is older than say 1930) since water has come into the interior wall, then this should not take too long as the actual wall will get hot. The damp should then be forced outwards...unless you have waterproof paint or some kind of render on the outside stopping it escape. If there is a waterproof barrier then a dehumidifier is the option. They are costly to run and of course you need to keep emptying the water otherwise they stop working automatically.
          There is another benefit to faster drying and that is that mould will not build up. Of course if the water has been coming in for a long time then it may already be there. Water with bleach then to wash it off. Hope this helps.


          Latest Activity