Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Fine Mess
    replied
    After getting Landlord Insurance with a rent guarantee I would contact a letting agent and let them advertise it. (and I am not a Letting Agent. I am charged £50 a month in fees for one house where the rent is £650 a month)

Leave a comment:

• Sunshine newbie
    replied
    Hi, I have just come out of a very bad council let. Tenant clearly lied, however had guaranteed rent through Covid. Not all council tenants are bad you need to judge whether it is right for you.

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    Rightly or wrongly I wouldn't trust my local council with very much at all. Particularly a six-figure asset.

Leave a comment:

• OhDearyMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
    Old thread?
    Still a good question today as this could happen to any LL.

Leave a comment:

• gnvqsos
    replied
    What colour?

Leave a comment:

• Flashback1966
    replied
    Old thread?

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    no no no no no - Don't do it. I did it and will never, ever, do it again.
    The council told me the family would be on the streets if I didn't help them. And do you know what? Living on the street was the right place for them. They were totally incapable of looking after a property.
    I will never take the risk again or give somebody a chance.
    This was years ago and I've learnt a lot since then.
    The council have asked me again if I'd give a family a chance and I said I would if they, personally, would be a guarantor. Funnily enough, they declined.

Leave a comment:

• OhDearyMe
    replied
    I will never lease to a council, they house some real scum who cause massive property damage, yes the bill would be footed by the Council and perhaps the tenant is moved, but you could be out of the game for months due to repairs. Speaking from experience sadly.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec, ) and I had to inform the flat owner that if he went ahead with renting to the Council, our insurance would be instantly removed, and that the Leasholder would have to pay the increase costs, and put money in the pot- ( in the form of insurance, and sign a Deed to cover all costs of additional charges ) if no insurance was found by him upon sub-tenants movng in.
    He soon dropped his idea.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
    ...and if you try to evict the Council as your tenant, then their tenant will just become your tenant.
    Something that I am sure is well highlighted in the council's literature!

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    The Council has no more powers to evict a reluctant tenant than you do, so if their tenant doesnt want to leave, you won't get it back any quicker than if you let it yourself, and if you try to evict the Council as your tenant, then their tenant will just become your tenant.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    You have to consider how the council is going to recover possession in order to return the property vacant.

Leave a comment:

• Hetjim
    replied
    Almost all the above replies re letting to council are negative but the one positive reason for letting to council is that after 3 year or 5 year contract with council expires you do get the property back with vacant possession which is unlikely with a private letting and the soon to be outlawed section 21 thus allowing tenants to stay infinitum with rent controls and hand down tenancy to next generation. .

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post

1 Any complaints from the neighbours would go to the council themselves and they would deal with it themselves .
    They wouldnt contact me and they would deal with it themselves , surely the council wouldnt take legal action against (as the owner) because of a disturbance caused by tenants they installed into the property .
    2 The property would be returned in the same condition as it was given, barring reasonable wear and tear .
    3 . The council will gaurantee to pay the rent directly to me .
    4 . I couldnt imagine them leaving tenants in the property after the TA expires
    5 Service charge my bill, all others theres
    You may well believe that, but if you do not have in writing that they agree to this and penalties for not complying, then you will find it difficult to take legal action if they do otherwise.

Re point 4: the council has to go to court to remove their tenants, just like you and me, so it is a likely scenario.

The contract is largely a form of insurance (assurance??): You need to consider what could go wrong and what should happen if it does go wrong, and hope that you never have to fall back on the wording of the contract.

This would likely be considered a business contract, not a consumer contract, so there would likely be no consumer protection legislation to fall back on if the council do not behave as you expect them to but have not contracted them to.

And my earlier post identified just a few of the areas you should be considering; there are many more.
    The council will want to minimise their costs, so if something happens that adversely affects you and it is not covered by the contract, then they will deny any liability.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Some people believe in unicorns: Or that the earth is flat: Sigh!

I did rent to council years ago, as it happen nice lady & her son, DV case, no issues. But these days I would not believe what you Sir have been told. Please don't do it!

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X