Let a house to local council

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost all the above replies re letting to council are negative but the one positive reason for letting to council is that after 3 year or 5 year contract with council expires you do get the property back with vacant possession which is unlikely with a private letting and the soon to be outlawed section 21 thus allowing tenants to stay infinitum with rent controls and hand down tenancy to next generation. .

Comment

You have to consider how the council is going to recover possession in order to return the property vacant.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The Council has no more powers to evict a reluctant tenant than you do, so if their tenant doesnt want to leave, you won't get it back any quicker than if you let it yourself, and if you try to evict the Council as your tenant, then their tenant will just become your tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
          ...and if you try to evict the Council as your tenant, then their tenant will just become your tenant.
          Something that I am sure is well highlighted in the council's literature!
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec, ) and I had to inform the flat owner that if he went ahead with renting to the Council, our insurance would be instantly removed, and that the Leasholder would have to pay the increase costs, and put money in the pot- ( in the form of insurance, and sign a Deed to cover all costs of additional charges ) if no insurance was found by him upon sub-tenants movng in.
            He soon dropped his idea.

Comment

I will never lease to a council, they house some real scum who cause massive property damage, yes the bill would be footed by the Council and perhaps the tenant is moved, but you could be out of the game for months due to repairs. Speaking from experience sadly.

Comment

no no no no no - Don't do it. I did it and will never, ever, do it again.
                The council told me the family would be on the streets if I didn't help them. And do you know what? Living on the street was the right place for them. They were totally incapable of looking after a property.
                I will never take the risk again or give somebody a chance.
                This was years ago and I've learnt a lot since then.
                The council have asked me again if I'd give a family a chance and I said I would if they, personally, would be a guarantor. Funnily enough, they declined.

Comment

Old thread?

Comment

What colour?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
                      Old thread?
                      Still a good question today as this could happen to any LL.

Comment

Rightly or wrongly I wouldn't trust my local council with very much at all. Particularly a six-figure asset.
                        There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Hi, I have just come out of a very bad council let. Tenant clearly lied, however had guaranteed rent through Covid. Not all council tenants are bad you need to judge whether it is right for you.

Comment

After getting Landlord Insurance with a rent guarantee I would contact a letting agent and let them advertise it. (and I am not a Letting Agent. I am charged £50 a month in fees for one house where the rent is £650 a month)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                              by BIGGYBIBIG
                              I don`t make the rules my friend,,, i could easily have bought a block of flats the other day,,, tenanted by most of them for over 5 years 10 years 12 years etc,,, all long term but the state of the place i would not let my dog live like that,,, if it were all about money that would have been a great...
                              10-08-2022, 19:44 PM
                            • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                              by BIGGYBIBIG
                              Hello everyone,
                              I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
                              10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
                            • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                              by AndrewDod
                              I don't know the answer, but if true this would be an absolute outrage.

Some little kid buying their own home where granny left them a quarter of a house that is rented out pays 3% additional tax

Someone who buys 8 properties pays 1%

Pity us all
                              10-08-2022, 19:32 PM
                            • Reply to Winter of Unpaid Bills
                              by SouthernDave
                              Good point...
                              10-08-2022, 19:09 PM
                            • Winter of Unpaid Bills
                              by jpucng62
                              Does anyone think their tenants are ready for the huge rises in energy bills this winter? Given that unit prices are expected to more than double from where we are now (and that is a big rise already) does anyone think tenants really have a grasp on this?

With mortgage rates going up fast...
                              10-08-2022, 10:50 AM
                              by DPT57
                              I'm more concerned at the possibility of a winter of unheated rental properties and then the tenants expecting me to deal with the resultant mold.
                              10-08-2022, 19:04 PM
                            • Reply to Dps deposit
                              by Codger
                              I think the deposit of five weeks rent is more trouble than its worth. Not taking deposits means being a bit more selective in choosing tenants.
                              Considering the value of the asset the tenants are trusted with the deposit rules are crazy. But thats only one of the red tape obstacles to being a...
                              10-08-2022, 18:22 PM
                            • Dps deposit
                              by Jm1972
                              Hi All,

i would be grateful if I could get some help please.

I got an estate agents to find me a tenant and do all the paperwork and get proof of service for everything, tenant moved in and paid deposit just over a week ago.

The estate agents took the deposit from...
                              08-08-2022, 22:40 PM
                              by jpkeates
                              The daft thing is that because people will owe them the money, it won't even affect the energy company profits.
                              10-08-2022, 16:52 PM
                            • Reply to Dps deposit
                              by jpkeates
                              Looking after a significant amount of someone else's money is not a trivial undertaking.

I spent most of my career designing and building business solutions to replace manual processes.
                              So I have a reasonable idea of what's possible.

There's nothing in it but downside...
                              10-08-2022, 16:50 PM
                            Working...
                            X