Letter received from council re tenant complaint re mould

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter received from council re tenant complaint re mould

My tenants (3 young sharers) won't accept that low level mould from condensation is due to their lifestyle issue so they have contacted the council and we now have an environmental health officer coming in to assess the property using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System as one of them has apparently developed respiratory issues. We had previously acted immediately to get a surveyor in who confirmed the issue is not structural (no penetrating or rising damp etc) and that it is down to condensation from lack of airflow. He has then gone on in his report to do a hard sell for a PIV system. The flat is maintained to a high standard (double glazing with trickle vents, double radiators, extractor fans in bathrooms and kitchen etc.) and I've only once had this problem before in 10 years when a tenant was drying her washing on the radiators. This issue was raised by the tenants after I pulled them up on not keeping the flat clean. we separately gave them a s21 notice (before the council letter) as we want to sell next year. They have confirmed they want to go but that they have escalated the mould issue to the council as they are worried about not getting their deposit back. We're confident that it's their lifestyle issues but has anyone had any experience of the council siding with tenants and insisting on a PIV system being installed due to the health issues that have been raised, even if there is a surveyor report confirming condensation due to tenant lifestyle?

PIV systems are inexpensive and very effective.. Got one at home and will be installing in the rentals at next voids.

My understanding is that if the S21 was issued before the council notice that it still stands, but someone with better knowledge will be along to confirm I am sure. Do you have evidence of the S21 - proof of postage/message from tenant acknowledging it? If it was just handed to them what are you going to do if they play the "Nope - Not aware of a S21?" angle

Comment

If the S21 was issued before the tenant notified the landlord in writing of the defect AND before any improvement notice from the council, then the S21 is valid (well strictly it is not invalidated under the revenge eviction legislation; it could be invalid for other reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by sam_cat View Post
        PIV systems are inexpensive
        No they aren’t.
        Cost effective for dealing with ‘lifestyle issues’ long term but the op says they are selling up next year.

Comment

I had a similar problem a while back and got a surveyor round (at my cost !!) due to tenants complaining - results were the tenants drying clothes in the house and not opening windows-

Comment

My T has black mould due to lifestyle. There are other issues with this T that have lead me to involve EH who said that even though it's the T's fault I might have to do something about it. EH didn't say what though. I insulated the back bedroom wall as I noticed this was cold (before the T moved in), but the T removed the insulation!. T is leaving anyway.

Comment

I would advise calling the council and saying that you are committed to solving this problem, can they arrange a visit with you present so that you can understand the issues and their advise to solve it .
              I have had this three or for times in the last 20 years and every time council EHO discovers that there is adequate ventilation, just not being used..
              If there is not, well then you need to fix it. So if you are confident it is fixed, then there is nothing to worry about.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X