Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Members/ Deed of Assignment

Hello to all.

I rented my house to a family, two couples, AST. They frequently had family visiting from abroad. After some time, one couple moved out, to be replaced by family members, under a 'Deed of Assignment'.
    They all work different shifts, so I did not notice that another couple, family members again, had replaced that couple. Also the Lead Tenant's brother became resident.
    It was only after I became curious and asked questions that it became clear. If I am correct, they should also have had a 'Deed of Assignment' at the time. However, they have been there for possibly a year now.
    The ground floor Smoke Alarm was removed without my knowledge, but has been replaced.
    Everything else is in order including rent, and I ensure I to maintain a good relationship with them.
    AST had lapsed into a Periodic Tenancy, and I have been told I will need a new AST, and Inventory. I have all personal details.
    Can anyone make any input here, please ?.
    Thank you.

What is the wording in the current agreement that defines the term "lead tenant"?

Comment

How are the tenants contracted, as it's almost impossible to assign a joint tenancy agreement properly?

How have you handled the protection (and assignment) of any deposit?

This is an HMO, so the HMO regulations need to be followed.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What LL training have you done?

Comment

You don't need a new tenancy agreement, but it may actually be the easiest way to resolve the mismatch between contract and reality. Are you sure the new tenants can afford it? Are they tenants you want?

Comment

And have you checked they are U.K. citizens, or have the right to be in this country, and issued a Required "Right to rent" Government literature to them . etc, etc, etc.

You are supposed to have a copy of their passports if not U.K. citizens.

Comment

P.S. You did not credit check them i assume, as you did not know they were there.
              It's you that decides who lives in your house / flat. Not the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                This is an HMO, so the HMO regulations need to be followed.
                OP implies it is a single household.

Comment

Depends how closely the two couples are related.

Comment

It's an odd/very big family, if couples keep switching over.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X