No Ast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Ast

Here is an example of the classic error from page 1, paragraph 1 of the Letting Landlord's "What not to do" book;

I let a property to my son's "friend" 3 months ago. I have had to chase the rent each month and have been inundated with complaints from the neighbours about noise and nuisance. I have decided to ask him to leave. I fully expect him to object and I really do foresee problems getting him out.

I took a deposit of 1 1/2 months rent so not too worried just yet about the money but what happens when he says he has nowhere else to go because - and here's the good bit - as he was a "friend", I never got round to a formal AST.

I know, I know, I know - I never thought I would be such an idiot but we live and learn and if nothing else, this might serve as an example to others.

I am now wondering if it would be better to raise the AST -backdated to when he moved in - and just sit tight till the 4 months are up then give him the standard 2 months notice

Can anyone else offer any advice please?

There is an oral AST, I think- just nothing in writing. You cannt impose restrictions retroactively but, subject to that, a written AST could show a past commencement date. Has T demanded a Statement of Terms under s.20A of Housing Act 1988?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey

No, I haven't actually told him to leave yet. I just want to be aware of my legal position before the problems start!

Comment

I think that because he has offered and you have accepted rent that an AST agreement exists with a fixed term of six months from the date he moved in. You will be able to evict him under section 21 for which a minimum of two months notice is necessary and this cannot end until the said six months has elapsed. Unfortunately for you the "accelerated" procedure cannot be used where a judge considers the paperwork and if correct isues the possession order. In this case a court hearing is necessary to give the tenant the opportunity of appearing thus the terms of the tenancy and, importantly, its commencement date can be established. However there is another possible problem: Page one of the landlord's handbook states that written AST's should be issued, signed sealed and filed before a tenant takes up residence. Page 1a will advise you that any deposit taken (which you have) must be immediately secured in a protection scheme. This is a legal requirement, and as you haven't done so you are liable to a fine and a payment to your tenant of three times the deposit. Furthermore you cannot use the section 21 method of regaining possession of your property unless this deposit protection is in place.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I should get that deposit protected pdq!

P.P.
        Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

P Pilcher

Thanks for the response and I understand everything you are saying.

It's like I said originally, having thought long and hard, I feel the only way forward would be to issue the AST with the actual start date, issue the notice to vacate to correspond with the AST, protect the deposit and then batten down the hatches until I can proceed legally.

My only concern now is will the lateness (is that a real word?) of the documents have a detrimental effect further down the line if I am forced to take legal steps when the 6 months are up?

Do you see any problems at the end of the AST if I get the paperwork in place now?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
            I think that because he has offered and you have accepted rent that an AST agreement exists with a fixed term of six months from the date he moved in.
            No. At most, the AST is monthly periodic from day 1. As there is nothing in writing, there is no fixed term.
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Jeffrey

So if it is now, by deafult, a monthly periodic tenancy, what notice would I have to give and would it have to end on a rent cycle ie end of the month?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by yursaduian View Post
                Jeffrey

So if it is now, by deafult, a monthly periodic tenancy, what notice would I have to give and would it have to end on a rent cycle ie end of the month?

Thanks
                You can serve a s.21(1)(b) Notice now. As long as it's served on T at least two months before the first six months of tenancy end, whether or not it's a fixed term, you can claim possession at the end of (or, better, immediately after the end of) the six months.

Comment

Thanks for the input Jeffrey

Does this mean then that regardless of the AST being written or infered, I cannot apply for possession until six months has elapsed? (and then of course only after 2 months written notice)

Comment

Not quite. You can serve [s.21] during the first six months; but Possession Order cannot operate until (at the earliest) end of six months.

Comment

thanks again Jeffrey

This has been a big help

Cheers

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                        Gordonmrln
                        I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                        20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                      • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                        leaseholder64
                        I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
                        23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
                      • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                        JP23
                        Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                        23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                        jjlandlord
                        I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
                        23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
                      • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                        KTC
                        The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
                        23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
                      • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                        Wright76
                        Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
                        23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
                        Wright76
                        To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

With...
                        23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
                        Lvkn
                        Hello
                        i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                        23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                      • Excessive estate agent fees
                        Cml241
                        I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                        21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                      • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                        Wright76
                        If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                        23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                      Working...
                      X