Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem neighbour

Hi All,
    My current flat tenants (T) are a Romanian family, they are looking after the property, paying on time and I have no problem with them. The neighbour and son (N) who live below have been unpleasant to them since they moved in and I received a few complaints from N about T mainly about car parking and noise, then complaints became more abusive and personal . No other neighbours have complained and I have no reason to think tenants are particularly noisy.
    Things kicked off in the summer when tenants had a small party. N and son came out and shouted racial abuse and then called the police (I have a video of this). I then get a calls and emails from N to 'do something', these messages get more abusive. For 3 weekends in a row N calls police about T regarding noise but when I turn up unexpectedly all is quiet. Also during the summer T have a BBQ in the car park and N calls the fire brigade. Fire brigade consider it safe and go away - this happen twice to T and also once to another neighbour.

Last weekend N plays music very loud in the evening which keeps Ts young children awake. N has admitted to playing the music loud as revenge. T goes to police and they say it is down to the landlord to sort it out.

Both tenant and neighbour are insisting I do something about the other party. N has been a problem for years but the behaviour is escalating. Most other residents want no contact with N and 2 flat owners who have sold because of N. Another a planning on selling next year.

We have tried mediation but it is not working. Any ideas of what can be done?

Since you've been through mediation and it hasn't worked, you probably have very limited things you can do apart from sell up. Your T may have a case for racially enticed behaviour, whether or not the police will do anything. I would most likely record all future calls. You may get assistance from the council under anti-social behaviour - but again very limited on what powers if any they may have, are the neighbours tenants or owners of their property?

Comment

I would keep out of it, it isn't your job to sort out squabbling neighbours. Suggest T keeps a record and any evidence of racist behaviour and reports it. The council may do something about excessive noise but they usually want to keep out of it too. Tell N you won't evict T and to go through official channels instead of contacting you. Block his calls if you have to.

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for your posts. Sadly N is an owner, I have blocked her calls.
        I also spoke with my letting agent, he also suggested telling N she needs to contact police if she has any issues and also refusing all communication.

Comment

Google "reporting hate crime" for your area and let them know you have the video

Comment

Agree with comments above about keeping out of it, you can not fix stupid, if there are offences then only the Police should be informed and deal with it, it's not your job.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X