Resrouces for landlords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must give a plug to a site I recently discovered, Property Tribes. Many of the contributors give their qualification status. Definitely worth at least looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
      There are many issues with it, which is a whole new thread if anyone can be bothered to disect it line by tedious line. (I can't)
      I don't think you can assert that it's "full of" inaccuracies and then just leave it hanging.
      It's not perfect, and it's not completely accurate (and needs updating after some recent legislative changes) but it's the best I've seen - and I obviously don't claim to have seen them all.

While a thread delineating it's many errors might be interesting, how many of the agreements we all use would bear the same analysis?

Because it doesn't represent best practice (perhaps 'best in theory'?).
      90% of landlords don't use it and 99% of professional landlords don't use it.
      Best practice doesn't equate to most widely used or even common used.
      There was a recent review of the NHS where one of the most striking features was how much of the best practices they found were used by a small minority of practitioners.

Do you use it yourself?
      -honest answers only please!
      No, my agent wants to use their own agreement, and, while I think it has some issues, they don't want to try and support different agreements across their entire business.
      Were I managing the tenants myself, I would probably use the government agreement (and I am not sure if I would make the changes I think should be made to that standard document).

It's stupidly long and I wish that there was a version with and without the explanatory notes built in, but the complexity of it doesn't make me think it's over complex, it just highlights that most tenancy agreements in use are probably inadequate.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        It's not perfect
        I doubt anyone will find a perfect tenancy agreement. You can though find well-drafted ones which, on careful consideration, may not cover all the angles (something approaching the impossible) or need a bit of tweaking.

it's not completely accurate
        All precedents need to be reviewed constantly to keep abreast of legislation and court decisions

my agent wants to use their own agreement, and, while I think it has some issues, they don't want to try and support different agreements across their entire business.
        It is understandable that for administrative reasons a letting agent would want to have all his agreements in substantially the same form. It is though unreasonable, if not outrageous, for an agent to insist that a landlord can only let his property on the agent's terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          It is understandable that for administrative reasons a letting agent would want to have all his agreements in substantially the same form. It is though unreasonable, if not outrageous, for an agent to insist that a landlord can only let his property on the agent's terms.
          I may have misrepresented the situation.

When we were agreeing what they would do for us, they expressed a strong preference for not using my proposed tenancy agreement and that they would prefer to use theirs.
          This was some years ago and we decided that it wasn't something we felt too unhappy about.
          It wasn't a my way or the highway situation, just something that arose as an issue and that we agreed an outcome.

Other changes (deposit admin, for example) we did agree to work in a different way than their standard.

It's possible that, had we insisted, that the agent would have agreed, perhaps charging more for operating in a different way.
          It didn't arise and it hasn't been an issue since.

As an aside (taking up the point you made), I don't think it's unreasonable for an agent to decline to operate for a landlord in a particular way.
          Any business (I'm sure there may be exceptions but none spring to mind) should be able to decline business that has conditions they're not happy with.

And it's not as if I can claim that the agreement that I planned to use was any better, being self drafted in a moment of misplaced belief in my own competence.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X