Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Mother and a 4y old renting a 3/4 bed house

Hi all,
    My rental property is in London which was previously our home (now we are abroad). It has been challenging finding a tenant as we wanted a single family in the property.
    We now have an offer on the property from a

Sorry the previous post got posted too early.
    We have an offer from a single mother earning £57k (rent is £1800) who has been in that job for almost 4yrs and has a 4y old child. My house has 3BR plus a huge garage conversion with its own en-suite.
    Whilst I’m happy with her, it just sounds too good to be true; my agent says she has been warned about subletting and her response was she wouldn’t want to live with strangers anyway.
    what do you all think?
    thanks

Comment

You can't always get what you want......as the song goes. Letting in parts of London is challenging at present with rents falling.

I'm guessing there is more to your post like 'will she sublet' - yes probably. Anything else?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Yes she is bound to sublet or do Airbnb.

Comment

That’s all so far; I am waiting to get back the references and then will decide.
          If she sublets, does it give me the reason to evict her(and the others)? Or if it’s that obvious, should I reject her now avoiding future headache?

Comment

No, you would be unlikely to get a judge to grant you possession based on her sub-letting against the terms of the contract.

Comment

Really? Isn’t breaching the terms of the contract not good enough to regain possession? I thought subletting without LL consent was illegal?

Comment

Yes but you would have bring a case to court and that a takes ages (4-5 months) in London if T does not just move on. Looking at some previous Airbnb and similar cases tenants don't stop subbing until the court order. I would not chance it.

Comment

It's not illegal, it's just breach of contract and most courts take the view that it's not serious enough to make someone homeless. In fact, former Chancellor, George Osborne wanted to give tenants an automatic right to sub-let a few years ago. You could sue the tenant for breach of contract, but only to the value of your losses which would likely be nil.

Comment

Thanks for the replies- I would rather have an empty house than one that is sublet - given the facts above, do folks feel that I should reject the T?
                    Thanks

Comment

Think you have answered your own question.

Comment

I would not want an empty property in London (or elsewhere). C Tax etc could be crippling.

Comment

Whoever you end up letting it to, make sure the Agent includes a clause in the tenancy agreement stating that you have lived in the property as your main home and that you may wish to recover possession under Section 8 Ground 1 of HA1988

Comment

Rather than guessing, why not ask her why she needs such a big property?

Comment

It could be something as simple as one bedroom for her, one bedroom for her child, one bedroom to use as an office/study and the garage conversion as a spare room when her parents come to visit.

You don't need to think the worst will happen.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X