landlord wanting to evict, but wont follow the law.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    landlord wanting to evict, but wont follow the law.

    Hi, I noticed others posted landlord problems on here , so I hope thats ok.....
    my landlord has always been somewhat rude, when i first moved in ,some wires were hanging out the wall ,i complained he told me to "dont be stupid" they were 240v wires too......hes a bit of an ass
    But anway this year,hes kept banging on my windows when he wants something,ie a flat check or to ask me to do a favour....
    I got fed up of it, sometimes it would be daily, I kept complaining to the council who kept telling him to stop , he wont, and thinks it isnt illegal...he lies a lot , to the council too, says he lives in my building, he does not. also lies about other things trying to make me look bad to them.........I do not have his address as he wont give it me, i`m disabled and its become almost impossible to find a place to live unles its next to a drug addict or in a very bad area, but i live in a good area and only have to put up with only 1 drug addict.........

    But my main point is at the end of last week i got fed up of the window banging, and texted him about 12 times telling to stop it , and cant do flat check as still not well .... a few days later he came round, says hes done and i have to leave in a month and thats the law,i know its not, i keep ringing shelter, who keep saying "ring the police or council if he tries to evict you, he needs to give 2 months notice" i have been dealing with the council and emailed them 5 days ago it about him threatening to evict me, they arent replying now, they used to, and i also tried to get the police involved who just say its a civil matter,i dont believe these people will help if he tries to evict or change the locks on me, its all very well saying its illegal to evict someone without a section 21, but who is going to arrest him and press charges? i cannot find anyone to help me. words about law mean nothing unles someone will take action.I mean if i`m evicted who do i go to ? a private lawyer? i cant afford that......

    about 6 yrs ago, he evicted someone,i saw all their possesions outside. so i`m a bit worried....but maybe i can change his mind.....he threatened to evict another tenent last month too......then chamged his mind.hes never done that before......i wish i could find somewhere else decent to live but i spent 18 months doing that a couple of yrs ago...... most landlords do not want people on sicknes benefit.and ones that do, offer terrible places i`ve been there and done it.


    Hi there

    Could you answer theses question please

    Its a bit late at night, but to answer your question quickly

    A LL needs to serve correct notice on you and so on, obtain a possession order and use Bailiffs to remove a Tenant, whole processes could take 4 or 5 months even longer.
    Fed up with nitpickers and rivet counters...


      Is this a resident landlord? Can you confirm that you are not actually a lodger?

      The police should get involved, but only when the landlord physically excludes you from the property. As noted, for tenancies, evictions can only be carried out by bailiffs and only after a court order is obtained.


        Don't respond to any more window knocking. If he wants to do a flat check/inspection he must give you 24 hours notice in writing. Have you changed the locks? If not change them to prevent him coming in. It's easy to change locks you can google how to do it. Keep the original locks so you can put them back should you move out.

        He must give you written notice that he wants the property back and this should be two months (assuming your rent is all up to date and the property is in good condition - not trashed or dirty etc) and this will be in the form of a section 21 or section 8. This doesn't mean you must leave then - it's only notice that he wants the property back.


          Keep a log of all the "harrassment" over a period and take it to CAB. They may be able to help you get legal aid to sue the landlord. If he tries to evict you without due process call the police as suggested. I would put money on this landlord not having followed the necessary tenancy pre-requisites that would enable him to serve a valid s21 notice, so I doubt he will be able to evict you any time soon.


            And call Shelter **Free** helpline 0808 800 4444 if you need advice from elsewhere to confirm our views, they really are the experts.. eg harrassment

            Sorry to hear of this disgrace of a landlord (and disgrace of a human being). Best wishes, keep asking for more help & info.
            I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


            Latest Activity


            • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
              by Renterthedragon
              I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

              I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

              Approaching the end...
              18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
            • Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by ash72
              I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

              Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
              18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
            • notifying utility companies of tenant change
              by flyingfreehold
              Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
              18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hooper
              I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
              18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
            • Single parent renting
              by Dct
              A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
              18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
            • Reply to Single parent renting
              by Hudson01
              This may just be one part of it, as ' ash72' states there are a lot less rental properties now (and it will get worse in the future), rents have sky rocketed and a LL can simply pick and choose the very very best tenant. It has become even more important than ever to get the right tenant, this is due...
              18-05-2022, 19:40 PM
            • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Hudson01
              As 'ash72' states you may be angry at the perceived way in which the landlord has treated you but do not mix the two up, If you wish to take on more stress after you have been evicted and may still be looking for a place to live...... which with a CCJ will be all but impossible, go ahead, but i would...
              18-05-2022, 19:14 PM
            • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
              by Forgetmeknot
              I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
              so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
              18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
            • Reply to Let a house to local council
              by ram
              If you are in flats, with service charges, the buildings insurance for residential Landlords insurance ( the Landlord of the freehold, that insures the building ) The insurance company may well cease immediately the insurance coverage.

              It happend to our block of flats ( I was the Co. Sec,
              18-05-2022, 18:54 PM
            • Let a house to local council
              by r3drum

              Have a property which is currently marketed for rent ( 2 bedroom - fully renovated ). Been about 3 weeks and not had much interest shown.

              Anyone got information or first hand knowledge around renting the property to the local councils or any other authorities which guarantee...
              20-11-2019, 11:58 AM