Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Risk??

Hi all

We have asked several times for the carpet to be replaced, my partner is actually going to hospital due to a skin rash, brownish colour which shes had since moving, and we sometimes feel itchy in the house, can it be from the carpet?. Its a lovely house but the landlord refuses to replace carpet, its very old and its single glazed windows, I'm sure it is mold, it looks like this in every room!! Please help what to do.

Hi Everyone,

We recently signed a renewal tenancy contract through the agency, apparently the agency posted the tenancy agreement to the landlord and it has been lost in the post twice now! Its been 2 weeks this has been going on, we asked them to post it signed for the second time, which they didn't. On top they owe us a part refund on the deposit due to new legislation and we think they are delaying it because of this. The landlord doesn't use e-mails only post. We are fed up of the agency to be honest, they have not been great at all, but we love the house. If the landlord doesn't sign the tenancy next week, can we ask to cancel the renewal tenancy agreement?

any help would be appreciated, they owe us a refund also which they are holding until landlord has signed contract.

Comment

Technically if you don't require a renewal contract, as you would automatically go periodic and the T&C's on the original contract would stand. Has anything changed in the tenancy between this and the renewal? I'm not sure why you need the L's signature if the agency is the one supplying the contract, you just need them (acting on behalf of the L) to sign it.

Comment

We were on a rolling contact for a couple of months then the landlord apparently wanted us to renew again for fixed 6 months, so we signed it over 2 weeks ago but they keep saying the contracts lost in the post, twice now! They also owe us a refund from deposit which i think is the reason for delay.

The landlord signed our first Tenancy agreement,so not sure why the lettings agent cant sign it. The landlord is hardwork, he hasn't even replaced the carpet in a very long time and we have complained previously but very stubborn.

side note: if the landlord still hasn't signed the contract by next week, can we request for it to be void and cancel it?

Comment

Unless there's wording in the contract that says it's not valid until signed, it's already been agreed.
          There are some formalities to complete, but the contract was (almost certainly) made when you signed the agreement.

The lack of a landlord's signature makes no difference to the contract and doesn't make it void or invalid - so you can only cancel it if the landlord agrees to cancel it.

The chances of something being lost in the post is so small as to be almost impossible and for something to be lost twice in a row isn't remotely credible.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I completely agree, twice lost in the post, absolute joke. So basically they can hold on to our money that they owe us and continue to say the landlord hasn't signed it for god knows how long. Must be some way around that.

Comment

Is this an adjustment to bring the deposit to the new 5 week rent limit?
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Is there a wooden suspended floor or cellar underneath?

Comment

Yes, we have a cellar. It's also in the bedroom the mold, black around the single glazed window it's quite damp cold during winter even with heating

Comment

How long have you lived there and were the black spots there when you moved in?

Is this cellar heated (or does it have facilities for heating) and how is it ventilated?

Do you ever dry washing indoors? Is there a lot of condensation on windows? What temperature does the house reach if you leave the heating on full blast 24/7, and what temperature do you typically have.

I think that probably is mould.

Comment

It's been like that since we moved in 2 years ago and the black spots on windows..the cellar has a heater but not working..we dry washing inside during winter but windows are open..we notice black areas come up more during winter time. We asked them to replace a year ago but said no it's fine..but my partner has had skin rashes since moving in and feels itchy during the winter. What can we do if they aren't replacing ?

Comment

Yes that's right and they said we can't have it until he signs it..does that make sense?

Comment

Why don't you move if you think it is the house causing your partner's rash? The cause could be a myriad of things unconnected with the house or carpet.

Don't dry clothes in the house and see if things improve.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I also suggest you move. Can you replace the heater in the cellar? Also purchase a good quality dehumidifier (or more than one) and run them 24/7, and keep the house at > 19 degrees all the time.

Comment

We asked the agency to fix some of the heaters..they fixed 2 but not the cellar. We are planning too but need to find a way to break the contract since we already signed it..I will have to get the council involved in order to break the contract and leave early ...is this the best way? Surely he shouldn't be allowed to be a landlord if it poses a health risk to tenants ..I mean this is the first time we are renting but we have learnt our lesson

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X