Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4567 View Post

The is a lockable door between the house and conservatory
    I presume you mean the original external door that the conservatory has been built over (as is mine).

That means it is not intended as general living space, but as a summer room.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

I presume you mean the original external door that the conservatory has been built over (as is mine).

That means it is not intended as general living space, but as a summer room.
      Yes that's right.

Comment

So a new issue the tenant claims to have (may well be valid) is the boiler has been dropping pressure and my regular plumber can't get out until next Monday (advised to keep topping it up). She phoned tonight and left a voicemail saying it's completely stopped working and red light flashing - no hot water or heating. I understand that I need to fix in 24h and have got an emergency call out from a new plumber for 6pm tomorrow and before I had chance to tell her this she emailed the following:

"Over the past week, the pressure in the gas boiler has dropped to just above zero, with me
        needing to top it up 5 - 7 times a day. The RED LED indicator light came on today , leaving me
        with no heating nor hot water with temperatures below zero outside. I have phoned you to request
        advice and an emergency plumber; you refuse to take my calls and refuse to respond to them. I
        have repeatedly asked for emergency details for a plumber and electrician, should I have an
        emergency. You have refused to approve this.
        Out of necessity, I have tried to resolve this myself. This has resulted in injury to both my hands
        and head. I have no other means of heating nor of obtaining hot water."

I replied informing her I will be round at 6pm tomorrow and under no circumstances should she attempt to fix it herself.

Any advice please??

Comment

You need to triage the problem quickly, but anything like 24 hours should be the time to provide alternative means of heating as some repairs can take over a week.

Comment

What's the betting tenant has unscrewed a bleed nipple somewhere?
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Or turned the gas off!

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
                You need to triage the problem quickly, but anything like 24 hours should be the time to provide alternative means of heating as some repairs can take over a week.
                Thanks. I could provide a small gas filled radiator I have if the emergency plumber cannot fix the issue tomorrow. It could be something as simple as the house radiators need bleeding. My concern is she's seemingly going down the claims route saying she has injured herself trying to fix the problem etc. What can I do?

Comment

Thanks. I could provide a small gas filled radiator I have if the emergency plumber cannot fix the issue tomorrow. It could be something as simple as the house radiators need bleeding. My concern is she's seemingly going down the claims route saying she has injured herself trying to fix the problem etc. What can I do?
                  Make sure your landlord's cover is up to date?

I wonder if she would take a 'bung' to leave?
                  To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Make sure your landlord's cover is up to date?

I wonder if she would take a 'bung' to leave?
                    Good call I will double check my insurance.

I offered contract exit twice. No bite. She wants reduced rent and to use the conservatory to run her business which is proving tricky in winter as... it's a conservatory! And can't run her business from a residential property.

Comment

You reacted to her complaint about heating failure asap, provided it can be fixed on Mon.
                      Resist any claim for Personal Injury Compensation.
                      Given the new Consrvatory info, I would suggest she is 'trying it on'. and deserves Sevice of a valid s21 and an accurate complete ref for future LLs.

Comment

My concern is she's seemingly going down the claims route saying she has injured herself trying to fix the problem etc. What can I do?
                        I would consider any injury that your tenant may have sustained to be entirely her own fault - and I would hope that any court would come to the same conclusion if she tried to get them to award her compensation.

Even if the repair was urgent, and needed to be attended to immediately, does not make it reasonable for a tenant to attempt to carry out repairs themselves - especially if they do not know what they are doing.
                        If the boiler really needed to be looked at right away and you had 'ignored' her phone calls and not given her details of a tradesman who should be contacted in an emergency, she should have arranged for a qualified person to carry out repairs and then tried to claim back the costs (whether or not she would then be entitled to recover the costs would be another matter).

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                          You reacted to her complaint about heating failure asap, provided it can be fixed on Mon.
                          Resist any claim for Personal Injury Compensation.
                          Given the new Consrvatory info, I would suggest she is 'trying it on'. and deserves Sevice of a valid s21 and an accurate complete ref for future LLs.
                          Great, succinct advice - thank you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Labour taxation plans
                            by SouthernDave
                            The limited company system has been abused for too long by people trying to save on tax by claiming they are a company. I know loads of people of set themselves up as limted companies and have now been caught by IR35. They have spoiled it for those of us who have proper companies to rub who used to...
                            22-01-2022, 17:55 PM
                          • Labour taxation plans
                            by steaming
                            Rachel Reeves R4 this am told the interviewer that Labour (when in power) would raise money by taxing those with BTL property much more than at present, she opined it was wrong that “they” were “getting away with it”. No challenge from BBC or fact check as to present tax. You are warned.
                            20-01-2022, 16:55 PM
                          • Reply to Labour taxation plans
                            by SouthernDave
                            Agreed. Peoples care should not be down to those who work hard to pay for. The levy is a joke and im disappointed in the conservatives for doing it....
                            22-01-2022, 17:52 PM
                          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                            by SouthernDave
                            I thought the main issue of taking a tenant on UC is not so much the fact they are receiving benefits, but the fact that its a pain in the proverbial to evict as the council tell them to sot tight until forced out by bailiffs....
                            22-01-2022, 17:47 PM
                          • Greetings, I Come in Peace
                            by AVJ113
                            Hello all, I am a prospective landlord. I will be arranging my first mortgage in principle today as a start to my evil buy-to-let empire. As a total newb, what would be the one piece of advice you would give after your years of experience as a landlord?
                            20-01-2022, 07:24 AM
                          • Reply to Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                            by AndrewDod
                            I think you need to ask whether he/she is responsible for the things you say, and whether these warrant immediate attention as you think they do:

a) leaking shower - what do you mean exactly. Leak from where, when...
                            b) broken burglar alarm - what is broken? What does your contract...
                            22-01-2022, 16:59 PM
                          • Cheapskate landlord wants to end tenancy
                            by Lucylou99
                            Hi just after some advice. I have been renting the property for 4.5 years, 4 of those with a fantastic landlord and 6 months with a new landlord. When he took over he immediately increased the rent by 25%, annoying but perfectly within his rights. The main issue is maintainance and repairs. I cant report...
                            21-01-2022, 22:11 PM
                          • Reply to Occupational rent to an executor.
                            by Lawcruncher
                            It is in the nature of co-ownership that each owner owns the whole and each is therefore entitled to occupy the whole. The sister's right.therefore is not to receive rent but to occupy the property as well. If the sister does not want to share occupation but wants some benefit then, keeping things simple,...
                            22-01-2022, 16:08 PM
                          • Occupational rent to an executor.
                            by Yoda 111
                            I am currently living in my deceased mother's house which I have lived in for 46 years my sister is the executor of the Will. My mother died in February 2020 so nearly 2 years ago and now my sister want's to charge me occupational rent from the time of death up until grant of probate was granted may...
                            20-01-2022, 19:44 PM
                          • Reply to Greetings, I Come in Peace
                            by AVJ113
                            Not at all, it's all very informative, thank you. I think I might opt out of criterion 3 though, I'm not a pie and chips man myself....
                            22-01-2022, 15:20 PM
                          Working...
                          X