Tenancy Agreement Start Date and Signed Date Do Not Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Agreement Start Date and Signed Date Do Not Match

Hi I need some advice, I have a tenant, who moved in August 2018 (last year), he is a truck driver, so travels a lot. He never got around to signing the tenancy agreement. I chased him around, but he would always find a way to wriggle out of it. He finally signed it this month. However he wrote on the tenancy "signed on October 15th 2019", but the tenancy he signed is dated on the day he moved in which was August 2018, which was last year. So now I am a bit confused, when does this tenancy start last year or the day he signed it?

Is this tenancy void? do I have to make another one?

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...125#post823125
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Why let tenant in without a signed agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Lee View Post
        when does this tenancy start last year or the day he signed it?
        The tenancy began when the tenant took possession of the property
        There's no need for a tenancy to have a written contract or for the tenancy agreement to be signed before it begins

If push came to shove, the tenant possibly didn't need to sign the contract at all to make it valid (unless the contract says that it's not valid until signed) to make it valid.
        Their actions indicated that they had agreed to it (and the signature simply makes their agreement more certain, it's not essential).

Is this tenancy void?
        No, it's fine - just some admin has been delayed.
        do I have to make another one?
        No.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X