Energy efficiency certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy efficiency certificate

I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
    or did the current estate agents who manage the property for me obtain it when the current tenancy started?
    I have found the govt website but the cert on there is from 10 years ago, long before I purchased the house and has expired.

The seller should have given you one, but they only last 10 years, so that is of no use to you.

You will need to search for someone who does EPC surveys and get a new one done. Your estate agent might be able to arrange this. You should ensure that the easy things are done, such as having CFL or LED light bulbs installed. It may also help to have paperwork for more subtle things, like cavity wall work, but I'm not sure if they will look at paperwork.

Comment

Is there a time limit for the certificate once the new tenants are in, or do I have to get the cert before the tenant moves in? Say for instance the new tenants are in, can I then get a certificate within a few days of them being in?

Comment

What was the rating of the property on the expired certificate, Any property below an E rating can't be rented out. I would get the certificate completed as soon as possible and supply this to your tenant, get them to sign that they have received it as well as proof.

Comment

It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
          Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?

Comment

I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.

Comment

Look up the on-line EPC Register to confirm date of last valid Cert.

Comment

Originally posted by Thehitman2001uk View Post
                Is there a time limit for the certificate once the new tenants are in, or do I have to get the cert before the tenant moves in?
                It's not legal to let the property without the tenant being shown the current valid EPC beforehand.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that in real life, though.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  It's not legal to let the property without the tenant being shown the current valid EPC beforehand.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that in real life, though.
                  Be a good excuse why you couldn't evict them though.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                    Be a good excuse why you couldn't evict them though.
                    As far as I can work out, the EPC can be given to the tenant at any time to make a s21 notice valid.

The legislation is very specific and makes reference to one section of the The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012 - which is section 6(5) which has no specific time limit.

However, it is worded in such a way that a court could interpret it differently and, as with Gas Safety Certificates, might well do so.
                    You have to give the EPC, " free of charge to the person who ultimately becomes the buyer or tenant".

It's the word "becomes" that's the problem!

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have someone who wants to go in as a tenant 3 days before the epc is being done so he can move his furtintures in. If i go ahead with this, how will anyone know? How does the local authority check? Or will i have to wait until the epc is granted?

Comment

I have someone who wants to go in as a tenant 3 days before the epc is being done so he can move his furtintures in. If i go ahead with this, how will anyone know? How does the local authority check? Or will i have to wait until the epc is granted?
                        You don't let anyone into occupation until all formalities have been done. Local authority are not concerned. It's eviction that is impossible if you screw up the paperwork.

Comment

When you serve a notice on the tenant, it's the tenant who defends it, not the local authority.
                          And the tenant will know..

Comment

I think the OP is talking about the trading standards breach in not providing a certificate pre-contract.

Comment

EPC is currently valid for 10 years and must remain valid during any Tenancy and availble to new T at start of T.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X