Broken window, who should pay T or L.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Broken window, who should pay T or L.

    So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these problems to be fixed he has been quite short-tempered.
    So about two days ago I slipped on the bottom of the staircase and fell into quite a large window and broke it. It was midday, I was not drunk or anything and the tenants below can confirm this.
    However, the window itself wasn't very strong. It was single glazed and quite thin. When falling into it I had managed to stop the majority of my momentum and just leant yet it still broke.

    So we contacted the Landlord and he said we need to call an emergency glazer and we will be paying for the repairs. He also provided us with some numbers and said he could also call himself.

    Just wanted to check on here if it is me who should be paying 100% of charges. Should there not be building insurance covering this if the windows were so frail?

    Although an accident, it was yourself that broke the window. The responsibility is yours.

    The only reason I could see it being the landlords issue is what caused you to slip on the staircase? Was there any structural reason that you slipped, or just one of those things that happens occasionally to everyone?

    If the latter, you really have no case and you would need to pay for the replacement.


      Many insurance policies will have an excess, so it is n't worth putting a claim in (assuming the policy covers it).

      I suggest you measure up the glass size, ask for a quote over the phone. As there are some who would overcharge on callouts. Make sure everything is included e.g. VAT, call out. Glass and putty itself is not expensive. Send them a photo. There are some trader, who turn up and then find other excuses to overcharge once they arrive.

      Try your local glass shop, who may be cheaper rather then the emergency glaziers. Plead a student discount.

      Sorry to hear about other issues. May be start looking for a better property for year 2. May be with double glazing, which might help with winter bills.


        The responsibility for repair & therefore paying for it is ALWAYS the landlord: But the landlord may have a valid claim against a tenant for causing the damage. (Odd way of looking at it, but IMHO the legally correct one..).

        Landlord may request payment prior to repair - if he's feeling brave...

        Landlord also has s21 option
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

          If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.


            Single glazing glass tends to be of standard thickness and not toughened..
            If you do not like the Property/LL, give due Notice and vacate.


              Maybe it was an old building where the original glass is likely to be thin?


                Regardless of the 'type of glass' the posts above are talking about - you freely admit that you broke it so it's your responsibility to replace it.

                My bigger question is 'quite a large window' at the bottom of a staircase - would you like to expand on that?
                It's very unusual for even an open plan staircase to have any kind of window at the foot.

                Window glass (especially single paned) is not worth claiming on insurance, it's cheaper to replace it without involving the insurers.


                Latest Activity