Help I’m not not sure what to do and i need advise please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help I’m not not sure what to do and i need advise please

My situation is our tenants handed their notice in and agreed to move out by the end of November as per 6 month break clause ,however they are living elsewhere with their new jobs. We drove past out property to see all the lights on so we phoned them to see why and they said she has a friend living there looking after the plants we asked for emergency access and was agreed by the tenant .we knocked on the door to be seen through the window by a person ina dressing gown we said who we were and she walked off. She did eventually open the door and said she is staying there for a few days. We had notification from the tenant and the property should be empty as per contract .
    my question is can we ask the tenant to leave with immediate effect as they have broken the contract in so many ways just so we can get our property back

No. If the tenancy hasn't ended yet then it is not illegal for the tenants to either sub-let till the end of the tenancy or let a friend stay there. You could theoretically serve a s8g12 notice for breach of tenancy agreement, but I doubt you would get possession based on them letting a friend stay to water the plants. What will be more interesting is if this person doesnt leave by the time the tenants notice expires. If that happens come back for more advice.

Comment

thank you for your reply we are having a meeting on Monday with the exiting tenants ,just seems a bit suss when there are no plants in the property our AST states tha they should have requested permission for anyone to stay in the property apart from the named tenants

Comment

Just make sure the plants aren't weed! Subletting is probably illegal in your AST - check but more than likely this is a friend staying who is homeless for whatever reason. At end of tenancy date encourage tenants to come and read meters etc and clear property. Hard to say if there is more to this at this stage.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Remind the tenants that when their notice expires their tenancy will end and anyone still in the flat will be a trespasser and they will be liable for your legal costs in removing them. They will also be liable for a daily occupation charge at a rate of twice the rent under the Distress for Rent Act.

Comment

Thank you so much for all your information

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X