How to find well rated contractor (plumber) in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find well rated contractor (plumber) in London?

I am a tenant on a rented flat and I'm not happy with the plumbing company my landlord uses.
    They send plumbers that are either late, or take multiple visits to fix a problem, and last time ended up fixing something and breaking something else.
    It feels like contractors have the upper hand as they are in high demand. Is there a website where you can find ratings for contractors in London and recommendations for good ones?

Thank you.

Try Which? Trusted Trader

Comment

Originally posted by dabd View Post
      I am a tenant on a rented flat and I'm not happy with the plumbing company my landlord uses.
      They send plumbers that are either late, or take multiple visits to fix a problem, and last time ended up fixing something and breaking something else.
      It feels like contractors have the upper hand as they are in high demand. Is there a website where you can find ratings for contractors in London and recommendations for good ones?

Thank you.
      Agree with all of this as a landlord. Sadly your experience amongst landlords and homeowners alike is not unusual. Learning a trade after leaving school is no longer considered "cool" and govt. have done little to address this.

I've learned to undertake basic plumbing task myself (insured) as:

It costs less.
      It gets done quickly.
      It gets done properly.
      I know the idiosyncrasies of the property.
      I can do it at a time convenient for the tenant.
      The tenant doesn't have to be at home unless they want to be.

With regards to recommendations, I'd be wary of the Trust-a-trader/rate person etc. sites - they work for the trader. There are stories that bad reviews are taken down. Best rely on word-of-mouth.

Comment

Oh, forgot to add:

Chasing a plumber by phone. Won't answer during the day due to work or in the evening due to rest. Expect to be sent a text/email while they consider if/when they will take the job and if/when they will contact you.

Cancelling at the last minute or after keeping you hanging around all day with "well you see that's the plumbing trade".

Misdiagnosing problems or misquoting legislation either to create a bigger job or just naivety.

Having to clear up their mess from muddy footprints, metal filing, sawdust and not forgetting the half-full Cosco coffee tub.

Having to repeatedly apologise to the tenant for circumstances beyond my control.

Comment

Finding good tradesman who aren't fully booked until February is my biggest problem. In my experience if they can come within a reasonable timescale it's because no one else wants to use them. Used a trusted trader roofer once but never again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
            by hazedunks
            Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
            21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
          • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
            by leaseholder64
            If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
            20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
          • Unilateral Break Clause
            by PadHicks
            Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
            20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
          • Reply to Online Letting Agents
            by royw
            I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
            20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
          • Online Letting Agents
            by kathekas
            Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

Many thanks
            20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
          • Reply to Advise when buying a property
            by jpkeates
            Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
            You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
            Ideally your solicitor...
            20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
          • Advise when buying a property
            by alejandrog89
            Hi,

We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
            20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
          • Reply to Possession of Property advice
            by DPT57
            Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
            20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
          • Possession of Property advice
            by mirfie
            Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
            20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
          • Reply to Advise when buying a property
            by Flashback1966
            Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

If it is a water pipe leak, it...
            20-11-2019, 17:54 PM
          Working...
          X