Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this fair wear and tear?

Hi

Bit of a back story to start with, i've moved in to a freshly renovated flat 2 years ago.
    Unfortunately, last week as a man with a van type of a removals company was dealing with the move they have left barely visible marks on one of the walls.
    How do i handle this situation (during inventory)?
    Should i mention it to the landlord as soon as possible and then try to claim it back from removals company? Or should i just not say anything and hope he doesn't notice and that way i potentially avoid having to deal with it further? Or should i try to clean it myself (or get professional to do it) before i go any further?
    I don't want to end up in a position where i'm out of pocket for something i didn't do.

They're your removal men, so, as far as the lease is concerned, it's your damage.

Whether you bring the landlord's attention to it is something for you sort out and live with.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Unfortunately as you are the one who invited the person (friend/ tradesmen) to the property you are responsible for their actions and any damages they may have caused intentionally or unintentionally. Accidents do happen and that is what the deposit is for. I personally would wait until your are moving out to re-paint the wall(s), unless it is unsightly for you then you do it when you feel you want to.

Comment

Are these external walls and if so can you describe the damage? If they are internal walls can you wipe the marks off or paint over them?

Comment

I would do nothing until it is picked up by the final move out inspection, unless you want to.
          As said, you are resp., it is not FW&T.

Comment

of course you should try to clean it because that's just reasonable behaviour for any such incident, you would clean the walls had the same incident happened and you were just moving in to the property.

Other than that just then wait for the check out to be done, if picked up in the report engage with the issue right away with the LL, the more reasonable you are the more reasonable any deduction is likely to be.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X