Deposit dispute case re-allocated to small claims track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit dispute case re-allocated to small claims track

Hi, I am suing my former landlord under s213 of housing act 2004 for not protecting my deposit. I used part 8 claim on N208 form. First my case is allocatd to muti-track and listed for directions hearing. I appeared in court for directions hearing and judge said I used form n208 and she re-allocated my case to small claims track and listed for another directions hearing.

I understand mult-track is better to claim costs and I would claim less costs under small claims track (if I win and pay less costs if I lose). Case law indicating that my claim must be allocatd to multi-track. I have to travel to court and have more costs that LL. I want my claim should stay on multi-track but don't know why judge re-allocated to small claims track.

Is this good or bad for me? why judge done this when law says claim should go to multi-track?

Originally posted by JustThink View Post
    Case law indicating that my claim must be allocatd to multi-track.
    No. A Part 8 claim by default is treated as if it's assigned to multi-track. The court is free to actually assign it to whichever track it deem appropriate.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

If you're making the claim yourself, the small claims track is probably more appropriate.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

After a long battle to recover my deposit, LL have offered me a settlement. Originally my tenancy was fixed term for one year and then became SPT and deposit was never protected throughout tenancy period.

LL offering me 3 times compensation based on one tenancy but I am arguing that I had two tenancies and compensation should be based on two tenancies that is 6 times.

What law saying about this ? can I claim 3 times compensation for fixed term and 3 times for SPT in total 6 times or I can only claim 3 times compensation?

Comment

Thank you guys. LL offered me to settle my claim now and hope to sort out this matter soon.

Comment

3 times per tenancy is the maximum a court can award. It's really not much of a settlement if you want the maximum possible per tenancies. The landlord may well chance it and go to court to see if it'll award less.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

When negotiating, don't forget to include the cost of the court claim so far.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

LL is willing to pay £308 court fee but not willing to pay time spent to bring the court claim. My tenancy was originally one year fixed term then SPT and deposit was never protected throughout both tenancies. LL is willing to pay compensation for one tenancy but I asked him to pay compensation based on two tenancies.

LL saying it was only 1 tenancy not 2 tenancies. Do court consider this as 1 tenancy or 2 tenancies and do compensation based on 1 tenancy or 2?

Comment

The compensation is per tenancy, and there are two tenancies (google Superstrike v. Rodrigues for confirmation and suggest that the landlord does the same).

People have reported that the court has worked in both ways.

You won't get compensation for your time in preparing the case in court (unless you have incurred actual legal costs).

There's no point the landlord accepting the worst possible outcome as an outcome of the negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    You won't get compensation for your time in preparing the case in court (unless you have incurred actual legal costs).
                    Generally it's possible. £18/hour fixed rate, or actual financial loss, but probably not if the case is on small claims track.

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    There's no point the landlord accepting the worst possible outcome as an outcome of the negotiation.
                    That.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Written information proving protection of deposit not provided by agent/landlord
                      mb4030
                      Hello,

Basically, we've moved out of our property and are awaiting our deposit back. We are aware that the agent wants to make deductions, but has not told us of what amount. Anyway, whilst trying to source our deposit we have noticed some issues, and I believe we are within our rights...
                      22-10-2019, 08:18 AM
                    • Energy efficiency certificate
                      Thehitman2001uk
                      I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
                      or did the current...
                      21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
                    • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
                      jpkeates
                      It's not legal to let the property without the tenant being shown the current valid EPC beforehand.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that in real life, though....
                      22-10-2019, 08:18 AM
                    • Oven light not working
                      artin
                      Hi
                      I have a new tenant, a fussy one. I had a new bed base and mattress delivered for him, the first day he moved in complained mattress is too soft so had to replace and lost money on the other one
                      Then he called the grill in the electric oven is not working which I knew from previous tenants...
                      20-10-2019, 14:54 PM
                    • Reply to Oven light not working
                      ram
                      I don't have a bulb in my oven. ( it's gas ) Should i insist on a brand new cooker with a light ? but i don't want an electric cooker, but that's not my problem. I want / demand a light in my cooker.

Supply the tenant with a torch is the answer.
                      22-10-2019, 07:56 AM
                    • Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                      scampicat
                      Hi all

We have had an enquiry from a couple to rent our two-bed flat. The lady is pregnant. We did put no children on the ad; however we are willing to see them and let them view the flat.

If however, we decide not to process their application further, can she sue us for discrimination...
                      21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
                    • Reply to Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                      scampicat
                      Thankyou Berlingogirl. We have told her that as the flat is not available for viewing until the 21st November, she can apply nearer the time and her application will be judged by the same criteria as everyone else's. She hopefully will find somewhere else during that time.
                      22-10-2019, 07:31 AM
                      ram
                      As post number 7.
                      As you say, you have lets say 10 applicants, you cant give the flat to the pregnant woman because she may sue you, because that is discrimination against the other 9.
                      You would be purposely discriminating against the ones with no children especially as you said "no...
                      22-10-2019, 07:30 AM
                      Berlingogirl
                      Just tell her you've decided to let to somebody else. You could say they have a higher income and a fantastic credit reference or whatever. You don't need to say anything about her prospective child, in that way there is no discrimination....
                      22-10-2019, 07:16 AM
                    • Rent increases.
                      bobcat
                      Hi everyone.
                      I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
                      21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
                    Working...
                    X