Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fee for reference from previous agency

Hi guys

I'm looking to rent a flat and at the referencing stage Ive been sent the following message:
    "Please give your consent to ..... to release the reference for Uktenantdata " (agency name removed).

I've contacted my previous agency and they have requested a fee of £36 for them to give a reference.
    My understanding of the tenant fee ban is that referencing fees are banned, and although I am not being charged directly by the referencing company, I am in effect still having to pay to be referenced.

Is this allowed? If not, who is at fault here? I am no longer with the previous agency at the moment btw...

The new letting agent can't ask you to make a payment to any third party in relation to the tenancy.
    That puts them in breach of the tenant's fees act.
    Let's be charitable and pretend that they didn't know your old agent were planning to charge you for the service.

If your tenancy with the old agent began before the tenant's fees ban, they would be able to make a charge relating to it despite the ban.

If the tenancy began after 27 May 2015 however, regardless of the ban, they can only charge you fees that you were made aware of before you signed the tenancy (that's a result of the Consumer Rights Act 2015).
    So were you aware that there could be a £36 referencing fee?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

thanks for the info jpkeates.

although my previous agents are entitled to ask for a fee (they referenced the fee in a handbook, not the tenancy agreement itself), i had a look at the tenants fee act and found this straight from the horse's mouth:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...nce_190722.pdf

Page 29:

"A landlord or agent may ask you to provide information which supports them to carry out a reference check, such as:
      • a reference from a previous landlord (you cannot be asked to pay for this) "

so there you have it, clear as day, will be firing an email to my current agent and making them aware of this and saving myself the 36 quid and them a potential 5k fine.

Comment

The current agent is not requiring you to pay a fee or contract with a 3rd party. They're asking you to get your/okay previous agent/landlord to provide a reference. Your previous agent want to charge you for it (while they can) is not the current agent's fault.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

my old agency is a 3rd party in this case....

Comment

The new agent need to require you to contract with a 3rd party for it to be illegal. They're asking for a reference from your previous landlord/LA is not requiring you to contract with a 3rd party. That the previous agent decide to charge you for it is a matter between you and your previous landlord's agent, especially when it's a fee they had previously made you aware they may charge.
            I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Miterquiche View Post
              so there you have it, clear as day, will be firing an email to my current agent and making them aware of this and saving myself the 36 quid and them a potential 5k fine.
              I reckon they will be firing off an email to the next suitable applicant.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Oven light not working
                artin
                Hi
                I have a new tenant, a fussy one. I had a new bed base and mattress delivered for him, the first day he moved in complained mattress is too soft so had to replace and lost money on the other one
                Then he called the grill in the electric oven is not working which I knew from previous tenants...
                20-10-2019, 14:54 PM
              • Reply to Oven light not working
                ram
                I don't have a bulb in my oven. ( it's gas ) Should i insist on a brand new cooker with a light ? but i don't want an electric cooker, but that's not my problem. I want / demand a light in my cooker.

Supply the tenant with a torch is the answer.
                22-10-2019, 07:56 AM
              • Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                scampicat
                Hi all

We have had an enquiry from a couple to rent our two-bed flat. The lady is pregnant. We did put no children on the ad; however we are willing to see them and let them view the flat.

If however, we decide not to process their application further, can she sue us for discrimination...
                21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
              • Reply to Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                scampicat
                Thankyou Berlingogirl. We have told her that as the flat is not available for viewing until the 21st November, she can apply nearer the time and her application will be judged by the same criteria as everyone else's. She hopefully will find somewhere else during that time.
                22-10-2019, 07:31 AM
                ram
                As post number 7.
                As you say, you have lets say 10 applicants, you cant give the flat to the pregnant woman because she may sue you, because that is discrimination against the other 9.
                You would be purposely discriminating against the ones with no children especially as you said "no...
                22-10-2019, 07:30 AM
                Berlingogirl
                Just tell her you've decided to let to somebody else. You could say they have a higher income and a fantastic credit reference or whatever. You don't need to say anything about her prospective child, in that way there is no discrimination....
                22-10-2019, 07:16 AM
              • Rent increases.
                bobcat
                Hi everyone.
                I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
                21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
              • Reply to Rent increases.
                Berlingogirl
                I also find that a lot of enquiries come from people who rely 100% on benefits or need a guarantor. I'm just upgrading a 4 bed and will be asking rent at the rate the LHA was in December 2010 before the LHA rate was cut. Can't get fairer than saying the rent is the same as 9 years ago....
                22-10-2019, 07:13 AM
                Berlingogirl
                I'd increase it. I doubt if the tenants would be surprised at a rent increase after 4 years. At some point you are surely going to want to put the rent up or do you intend to keep the same forever? £10 isn't a lot and is a fair amount imo.
                22-10-2019, 07:10 AM
                Logical.Lean
                I recently advertised a house at somewhat less than the market rent, £675 instead of £725.
                this meant alot of interest, but too many of them were on benefits or needing a guarantor. This also meant that I couldn't show everyone around (30 people interested in 3 days of marketing and 80 in...
                22-10-2019, 06:34 AM
              Working...
              X