X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Vimto88 View Post
    MdeB T is naked in their home when the plumber lets himself in ????? What ? I think the scenarios are getting a little far fetched !
    You might be surprised what some people do in their own homes.

I was pointing out that there can be lots of down-sides to your idea.

Leave a comment:

replied
    "Curiosity killed the cat" springs to mine.

Lets hope someone doesn't pick the locks to the loft space.

Post #18 is best solution....................

Leave a comment:

• Vimto88
    replied
    MdeB T is naked in their home when the plumber lets himself in ????? What ? I think the scenarios are getting a little far fetched !

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    OP just put your sentimental items in storage, until you are ready to occupy. if house burns down whilst T in situ, your items in loft will be destroyed anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    the worst they would have is a wait for the plumber
    when they get in the shower at 7am and there is no hot water because the boiler failed to fire and they have to be at work by 9?

When is the plumber going to come?
    Is T expected to take time off work or just allow a stranger to enter their home?
    What if T is naked in her home when plumber lets himself in?
    What about when this happens the following week? And the week after that?

What about when the heating doesn't come on because the system needs repressurising and the plumber cannot get there for days because he is snowed in?

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Get plumber to move Combi to kichen?

Leave a comment:

• Vimto88
    replied
    Thanks for the comments guys
    The attic the boiler is in has all of the things on your list Steph Cooke - thanks for posting the check list - very useful
    It is in a 40 yr old well built bungalow with plenty of attic headroom and all the other access requirements and it is positioned over a load bearing wall
    All of the turn off valves for gas water and electricity are housed together in meter cupboard in porch, so the tenant would have easy access.

The stuff up in the boarded attic isn’t particularly heavy - as much sentimental stuff as anything, and things more like home accessories and kitchen equipment than heavy furniture,
    And as it is a bungalow is well spread out across the available floor area

So I’m not locking the boiler in the loft per se but my stuff, which I don’t want to shuffle up and down the country and have no storage space for in my current home. So the boiler being there is as a consequence rather than me deliberately locking the boiler away and of course is not ideal
    i agree that it may possibly be a pain for the tenants but I have a clear rationale for the need to do this, and this will be made clear to the tenants as a factor in agreeing to rent the property.
    I am willing to pay for plumber call outs for any problems or adjustments so the worst they would have is a wait for the plumber - and in any case not sure Id want the tenants fiddling with the boiler themselves anyway.
    The boiler is 18 months old and has been serviced twice to keep it in top condition.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Do you know where the Gas, Electric and Water tap and switch's are ?

The tenant will need to know and have access to where the Gas, Electric and Water tap and switch's are so they can turn them off in a Emergency.

Your just asking for trouble locking a combi boiler up in a loft !

Leave a comment:

• g373
    replied
    I can't imagine living in a property where I don't have access to the combi boiler. Resets? Check pressure? Change water temperature? Sounds like a right pain in the neck for the tenant and the landlord.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I think that one of the things this is highlighting is that a property that's fine for an owner occupier, may not be appropriate for a rental property.
    An owner can live with the foibles of their home, a renter is less likely to be so tolerant.

You definitely need to have an isolation point for the gas outside the loft space.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Also note that lofts aren't designed to carry a lot of weight, except on the walls, so you can't put lots of heavy stuff there.

Leave a comment:

• Stef Cooke
    replied
    If your boiler is in the loft then the loft needs to be fit for it to be placed there. Lots of new, small houses have that arrangement and there is no truly easy access, ladder or not. I asked a BG man about it and he said they are covered by regs, so I had a look:

BPEC CEN1 Guidance regardsing roof installation of gas boiler is;-
    1. Flooring provided to boiler for service access
    2. Boiler has to be mounted on wall capable of withstanding weight.
    3. Loft to be accessible with retractable ladder
    4. Must have fixed lighting in place
    5. The roof space exit must be protected with a guard rail
    6. Gas, water, and electrical isolation points should be provided outside of the roof space so boiler can be isolated without gaining access to roof space

Leave a comment:

• Vimto88
    replied
    Thanks for suggestions, the stopcock for the water is handy, don’t know about gas.EDIT apparently every home has a gas turn off valve next to the meter. So gas and water valves are near each other. As for reset button on boiler not sure.....but I’d rather pay a call out for plumber to reset than to give people free access to the sentimental stuff in loft and they couldn’t claim that to be a health and safety issue, just an inconvenience

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    I’m struggling to think of a scenario where they would actually need access to the boiler themselves without having a professional called in.
    Some boilers requre that a "reset" button be pressed when it detects an abnormal condition, otherwise it will not provide hot water to taps or radiators.

Leave a comment:

• royw
    replied
    I would put taps on both the water input and gas pipes that the tenant can get at so they can turn them off if they need to.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X