AST break clause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AST break clause

Hi. I've signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement for a fixed term, and I don't know if the agreement has a break clause or not.
    Here's a sentence which may serve as a break clause:
    "On or after the fixed term at least one calendar month's written notice must be given by the tenant to the landlord which must expire at the end of a period of the tenancy (the day before the rent is due)."
    Is this a break clause? Does that mean that I can end the agreement before the end of the fixed term?
    Thanks

It means you cannot give NTQ to expire before end of Fixed Term + 1 Rental Period.

Comment

Could you explain it a little bit? So that's not a break clause?

Comment

No it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan834 View Post
          Could you explain it a little bit? So that's not a break clause?
          It is not.
          It does not allow the tenancy to be unilaterally ended before the end of the fixed term.
          It appears to be saying "once the fixed term has ended, you must give at least 1 month's notice ending at the end of a tenancy period".

If the contract is for a fixed term, then that is what the law says anyway (but this is poorly written and the law overrides this provision, meaning that you cannot end a subsequent statutory periodic tenancy before the ennd of the second month without the agreement of the LL).
          You can leave before the end of the fixed term, but are liable for rent, etc until the end of teh fixed term, unless you agree otherwise with the landlord.

If the contract provides for the tenancy to continue as a periodic tenency, then the clause may have some merit.

If you want out, then discuss terms with the LL.

Comment

The wording suggests that tenants notice could be given on the last day of the tenancy, which would mean that there is contractual provision to terminate the tenancy at the end of the first month of the periodic tenancy.

Comment

So "on the fixed term" means "at the end of the fixed term"?
              What should I do if my flatmates don't work, stay up until 4am, listening to music, and I work from 6am and I cannot get enough sleep? This is crazy. I'll lose my job if I stay here.

Comment

Well its not entirely clear, but I suspect that is what a judge would find if your landlord was stupid enough to challenge your notice.

Comment

HMO landlords really should consider tenant compatibility.

Are you on a room only tenancy, or are you on a joint, house share tenancy? You really should be on the latter, not least because it will imply higher fire safety standards, as they reason they get relaxed for house shares, is the assumption that the tenants will cooperate. You should probably answer the questionnaire in the sticky posting for this forum.

However, basically, your only way out, without paying rent to the end of the fixed term, is to negotiate an agreement where you compensate the landlord for their losses. This can get messy if you have a house share arrangement (joint tenancy).

Comment

On the fixed term doesn't mean anything, but after does, which probably saves it.
                    On the fixed term doesn't mean during, which is what you would prefer it to say.
                    What should I do if my flatmates don't work, stay up until 4am, listening to music, and I work from 6am and I cannot get enough sleep? This is crazy. I'll lose my job if I stay here.
                    If you are on a single agreement for a room and access to shared facilities, I would negotiate with the landlord.
                    If you are on a joint agreement with your flatmates, there's not much you can do.
                    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I moved in the UK in August, so that's why I'm so clueless.
                      I've uploaded the first page of the agreement. It says nothing about a joint agreement anywhere on the rest of the pages, so I assume it is a single agreement, and mine is the only tenant-name on the agreement.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B0S...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

It doesn't appear to be joint. The question now is how much of a fuss does the landlord want to make?

Was this through an agent? Agents can get awkward about commissions when tenancies are terminated early.

Do you know of someone who would be acceptable to the landlord and would fit in with the other tenants?

Comment

It was not through an agent, although I haven't met the landlord either, I've only met a guy who brought the signed agreement.
                          I definitely will talk with the landlord and try to sort things out. Maybe look for a new tenant to take my place.

Thank you all for your answers and advice! I really appreciate the help.

Comment

"On or after the fixed term at least one calendar month's written notice must be given by the tenant to the landlord which must expire at the end of a period of the tenancy (the day before the rent is due)."

If that is all that is said it amounts to nothing.

As pointed out, the "on" adds nothing. An absolute obligation is imposed on the tenant. The tenant must give the notice. However it does not say how long after the end of the term. There is nothing which says what the effect of the notice is. There is only an obligation to serve a notice which expires. Hopefully the periods of the tenancy coincide with the rent periods to avoid confusion

Comment

Noise cancelling ear buds?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
                                by royw
                                What does your AST say about it?
                                05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
                              • Dogs
                                by Bridge2020
                                My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
                                05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
                              • Advice on s.8 & s.21
                                by Hetty911
                                Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
                                05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
                              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                                by Hudson01
                                Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
                                05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
                              • Accelerated possession order
                                by Pariah81
                                A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                                05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                                by theartfullodger
                                Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
                                05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
                                by Pariah81
                                Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
                                05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
                              • Reply to Dogs
                                by ash72
                                The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
                                05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
                              • Reply to Dogs
                                by jpkeates
                                I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
                                You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
                                05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
                              • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                                by jpkeates
                                Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
                                You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
                                And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
                                05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
                              Working...
                              X