Tenants rights about damp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants rights about damp

I have been renting a place in West London for the last few months. Over this time we have noticed a damp patch increasing in size to the stage that we contacted the letting agents who told us to wash it down (no mention about repairing it!).
    The damp has now become so bad that we are looking at terminating our agreement by giving 60 days notice due to chest infections, the landlord has told us that we have to stay in the house until the end of the 1 year agreement or risk losing the deposit and that we will have to pay to have the wall repainted where the damp is, he has said that it looks worse because we tried to clean the damp off the wall.

Can anyone give me some advice on what rights i might have.

Many thanks.

Originally posted by graham1969 View Post
    I have been renting a place in West London for the last few months. Over this time we have noticed a damp patch increasing in size to the stage that we contacted the letting agents who told us to wash it down (no mention about repairing it!).
    The damp has now become so bad that we are looking at terminating our agreement by giving 60 days notice due to chest infections, the landlord has told us that we have to stay in the house until the end of the 1 year agreement or risk losing the deposit and that we will have to pay to have the wall repainted where the damp is, he has said that it looks worse because we tried to clean the damp off the wall.

Can anyone give me some advice on what rights i might have.

Many thanks.
    Tell L to read s.11(1)(a) of LTA 1985. He is obliged "to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwellinghouse (including drains, gutters, and external pipes)". It sounds like one of these is leaking, so that is L's responsibility.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Get a doctors sick note re;chest infections and the effect your damp house may have on it.

Make sure you have notified agent in writing about damp patch, and any fall out with the LL, just in case there is a dispute over deposit and you need evidence.

Threaten that you will call in environmental health or local authority tenancy relations officer if the matter is not sorted out to your satisfaction, whatever way that is.

As Jeffrey says, structural problems are the LL responsibility. Quote the relevant legal refernce at them. Also damp is a hazard under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System. The council could serve notice on them to get it fixed if it is serious enough.

I'm not saying that you would win on this (as I dont know how serious it is), but show them that you are willing to take it further and they may budge and let you go.

You could also demand the damp is fixed , and if LL refuses, get 3 quotes and instruct a workman to carry out the repairs and deduct the bill money from your rent . Or at least you could say that you will do this. There is a proper protocol for doing this, so do your homework before carrying it out.

Carry out your threats if they don't play ball.
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
        newlandlord17
        I was an unexpected landlord when I inherited a property recently. Originally I thought I wanted to carry on but then the tenant was nagging about small repairs and when my contractor went in he said the house was very messy, there was a smell of cat urine and a lampshade and door had been damaged....
        20-07-2017, 10:21 AM
      • Reply to Advice please - tenant potentially challenging Section 21
        theartfullodger
        Would need to expire after end fixed term.

Have S3 & s48 notices been served prior to s21?

Are you confident s21 was valid? Told by solicitor Tuesday that 70% of landlords s21s are invalid....
        20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
      • Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
        Jenny7
        Hi, hope you can offer some insight, we are looking to move rental property due to new job starting in September in a new location.
        So thankfully we've a window to shop around to find a new place.
        We've found one suitable spot but we're still looking around, the new place has asked for credit...
        17-07-2017, 12:10 PM
      • Reply to Agent refusing to give reference until we hand in notice
        Jenny7
        thanks, but it's exactly this sort of thing we wish to avoid, bad faith and stress :-(
        is the rental system really set up like this? to prevent tenants from looking and shopping and moving with ease?
        I guess we've rented the same spot so long we figured we could move when chose not be subject...
        20-07-2017, 12:22 PM
        JK0
        I wouldn't sweat it. Worse comes to worse, you can stay on at the end of your notice. Landlord would still have to go to court to get rid of you.
        20-07-2017, 12:17 PM
      • Claiming for Non protected deposit
        charliesugar
        This is posted on behalf of my cleaner who approached me for help after her last landlord failed to reply to her repeated requests for return of her deposit.
        She rented a room in a shared house in London, AST, weekly rent all paid on time. Notice given and accepted, room left neat and clean....
        27-06-2017, 13:18 PM
      • Reply to Claiming for Non protected deposit
        charliesugar
        So, the weeks have passed by with no reply from the landlord. I decided to give him a call myself today just to get a feel for the situation. He basically tried to deny that he was the agent in question but then went on to say he would not be paying anything back. We have contacted one of the No Win...
        20-07-2017, 12:16 PM
        Jenny7
        thanks all for the useful advice and insight
        we contacted the LL directly since I posted but she is taking advice from our current agent who are saying it would be utterly unfair to provide a reference before we hand in our notice as it would not leave them time to advertise and the house would...
        20-07-2017, 12:15 PM
        JK0
        Then you want confirmation of all those items in writing to send to the court....
        20-07-2017, 12:15 PM
        newlandlord17
        The agent tells me everything was done properly when the tenancy was started, presumably I don't need to redo it all now?
        20-07-2017, 12:12 PM
      Working...
      X