Oven repair LL or T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oven repair LL or T

Hey guys quick question is the oven considered a white good? and unless it states explicity in the tenancy agreement is the landlord responsible for repair?

What is wrong with it?

Generally L will be responsible unless it explicitly states L is NOT responsible (and then it depends how that is worded). May depend on the fine details (did T break it? is it fixable, or is it usable without being fixed?, is it dangerous?)

Comment

Its not dangerous T says just stopped working all of a sudden, its not dangerous. Most law i have read states that white goods are not the responsibility of the landlord unless stated.

Comment

Personally, I think if you provided it, you should repair it. I take it you've checked it's not pilot error, haven't you?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Personally, I think if you provided it, you should repair it.
          Many people “think” the same.

But there’s no case law to back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Many people “think” the same.

But there’s no case law to back it up.
            I know. That's why I said 'Personally, I think...'

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I know. That's why I said 'Personally, I think...'
              I must have missed the bit where the OP asked for opinions on what posters thought the law should be.

Comment

If you rented the property complete with cooker then my view would be that it should be repaired as you the landlord would repair any other fixture. If the tenant left the property then a new tenant would have a cooker which did not work?

Comment

Originally posted by jillycraig View Post
                  If you rented the property complete with cooker then my view would be ......
                  Very nice opinion, do you have any case law to back it up?

Comment

Not according to Shelter.

Comment

Is cooker on the Inventory?
                      Gas or electric?
                      What is wrong with it?
                      Cost of repair?

IMO T must have means of cooking a wholesome meal, so tech not white goods, like a w/m.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post

IMO T must have means of cooking a wholesome meal,
                        Nice opinion once again, but not according to any law I’m aware of.

(I’d be fascinated to know the legal definition of “wholesome”!)

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

I must have missed the bit where the OP asked for opinions on what posters thought the law should be.
                          Sarcastic so and so. Posts reported.

Comment

Just like many other public forums, these LLZ forums allow for people to express opinions. It is also often common for people asking questions to not be aware of all the ramifications and so opinions offered may not necessarily relate directly to the original question. Post #4 is clearly an opinion and makes no mention of any legal requirements, making post #7 unnecessary.
                            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Is the oven part of a freestanding cooker or fixed into the kitchen?
                              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
                                by hazedunks
                                Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
                                21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
                              • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
                                by leaseholder64
                                If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
                                20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
                              • Unilateral Break Clause
                                by PadHicks
                                Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
                                20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
                              • Reply to Online Letting Agents
                                by royw
                                I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
                                20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
                              • Online Letting Agents
                                by kathekas
                                Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

Many thanks
                                20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
                              • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                                by jpkeates
                                Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
                                You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
                                Ideally your solicitor...
                                20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
                              • Advise when buying a property
                                by alejandrog89
                                Hi,

We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
                                20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
                              • Reply to Possession of Property advice
                                by DPT57
                                Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
                                20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
                              • Possession of Property advice
                                by mirfie
                                Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
                                20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
                              • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                                by Flashback1966
                                Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

If it is a water pipe leak, it...
                                20-11-2019, 17:54 PM
                              Working...
                              X