Cat Urine Smell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat Urine Smell

Hi All, I am looking for some advise please. I've just rented a house and there is a very strong cat urine smell that is unbearable. The house stank when I viewed it but the previous tenant was still there at the time with the cats so I assumed the smell was coming from the litter box. I was informed the house/carpets would be professionally cleaned before I moved in. The landlord has had the house cleaned twice, including the carpets/laminate flloor but the smell is still there which they also acknowledge. The laminate flooring is due to be replaced but I am worried that it needs more than that as it seems to have seeped under the flooring. I have paid deposit and first months rent but have not been able to move in yet due to the smell. What are my rights, would I be able to cancel my tenancy at this point? I have 2 young children so cannot let them in the house with that stench as it is a health hazard. Any advice welcome, thank you :-)

A nice story for any landlord who ever wants to let a tenant have a pet. You can do, but be prepared to bear the cost and charge a MUCH higher rent.

I would buy about 200kg of bicarbonate of soda and spread it about 1cm thick on all the carpets and leave it there for two weeks. Then vacuum.

Comment

Bicarbonate of soda is the way to deal with this as mentioned above - but if it has soaked through to the floorboard all floor coverings will need to be removed first & then replaced once the floorboards have been scrubbed.

The smell, whilst unpleasant, is not a health hazard if the floor coverings have been cleaned but I think probably the property needs new carpets / laminate throughout after treating the floorboards. The LL should be claiming from the previous tenant.

As to your rights - I'm not entirely sure. If your LL acknowledges the problem they may be prepared to sort it out - clearly it won't let again until it is sorted, so you best bet maybe to say you are happy to move in when the problem is sorted & change the start date on the tenancy, with your LLs agreement. I would certainly not move in until you are happy it is sorted.

Others here may know your legal rights, but it sounds as if the property is unfit to be let at present.

Good luck

Comment

If there is no health hazard, I would have thought it was lettable, but with significantly depressed market rent.

Comment

Cat urine is a health hazard.
          Whether it's serious enough a hazard to make a property uninhabitable isn't something I know enough to comment on.

On a practical level, the flooring and carpets need to be replaced.
          Bicarbonate of Soda will dry out the carpets and floor and kill the smell eventually, but not all of the toxic elements of the urine will be removed.
          Most of them will die off in a relatively short amount of time (and are possibly mostly gone already), but bacteria and germs are remarkably hardy things.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It might be a good idea to find out where exactly the cat pee is using a UV light. Then treat with bleach multiple times. There are cat urine eliminators out there but I have never found them effective. Eventually the smell will go but I thoroughly recommend the bleach method.

https://www.pet-happy.com/how-to-fin...a-black-light/

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
              It might be a good idea to find out where exactly the cat pee is using a UV light. Then treat with bleach multiple times. There are cat urine eliminators out there but I have never found them effective. Eventually the smell will go but I thoroughly recommend the bleach method.

https://www.pet-happy.com/how-to-fin...a-black-light/
              I have the UV light and found it doesn't work. My pita dog keeps peeing at the top of the stairs (she's now banished to the kitchen at night). I find that an electric carpet cleaner works best. I use the cleaning liquid and actually pour it onto the wet patch and vac it up immediately. Repeat and the wee is all or at least mostly removed. If it's not all gone I use Wee-Away spray.

I use that expanded foam underlay in tenanted properties. I don't know what it's called but it's black and really cheap. It prevents liquids from reaching the floorboards. You have to use spray glue to stick it to the floorboards. I think I need it in my own house!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Broken window, who should pay T or L.
                marco1733
                So my friends and I have recently moved into a house, we are students and this is our first year of renting a property. The building itself is quite old and we've already had problems such as broken lights and damp. We also do not have the best relationship with our landlord as we've asked for these...
                21-10-2019, 13:11 PM
              • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
                mariner
                Single glazing glass tends to be of standard thickness and not toughened..
                If you do not like the Property/LL, give due Notice and vacate.
                22-10-2019, 03:19 AM
              • Rent increases.
                bobcat
                Hi everyone.
                I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
                21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
              • Reply to Rent increases.
                mariner
                I might wait to see what effect the Budget and Brexit may have on the economy.
                Keep any rent increase to max 5% p.a.
                22-10-2019, 02:50 AM
                MdeB
                work out inflation over the period, and if your increase is less than tha, then put it in the letter for comparison.
                21-10-2019, 22:19 PM
                DPT57
                My view is that you do tenants no favours by charging below market rent as they just develop unrealistic expectations and feel trapped when they realise they cant afford to move but need to. They also see you as a soft touch and that's not a good look for a landlord. I would start to increase each year...
                21-10-2019, 22:01 PM
              • Reply to Broken window, who should pay T or L.
                MdeB
                At what height was the bottom of this window, "normal" window height or floor height?

If floor height, then I believe it is required to have toughened glass, which is harder to break.
                21-10-2019, 20:45 PM
              • Energy efficiency certificate
                Thehitman2001uk
                I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
                or did the current...
                21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
              • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
                leaseholder64
                I don't think you are even allowed to advertise it for rent without a valid certificate. However, unlike the gas one, you can still provide it late for a section 21 eviction.
                21-10-2019, 20:37 PM
              • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
                Thehitman2001uk
                It was a C. Yes im going to try and get it done asap before the new tenant moves in.
                Also the gas cert was done in jan, so is valid till jan 2020, but will that be needed for a new tenant right away as well?
                21-10-2019, 20:34 PM
              Working...
              X