X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New LandLord - advice needed

Hi all,

I am new landlord and wanted some advise

Basically we have let out house that we were in (we have moved to new) , i was able to let it to 2 professionals (friends) from feb 19 - sep 12 and now they have decided to leave due to their circumstances

i have done some work on the house, painting, eirc cert and general things that needed doing to comply with regulation etc and decoration.

someone through open rent has put the deposit down but the references are taking some time(also via open rent). wanted to check what best i could do as i dont want the void period too long.

am i in my rights to ask the applications for their utility bills, employer letters and call their land lord and employer myself to speed things up and check if they would be suitable and can afford.

I would be thankful if someone can help with advise please.

Regards

As a new landlord, the best thing is probably to go with a full service agent for a couple of years, whilst still doing a landlord's course and carefully monitoring the agent.

Comment

thanks for the response, i am pretty close to doing that, but what about the current situation, should i hand that over the agency as well?

Comment

Originally posted by virtualtechie View Post
        am i in my rights to ask the applications for their utility bills, employer letters and call their land lord and employer myself to speed things up and check if they would be suitable and can afford.
        You ask for whatever you like. Past DO NOT JUST RELY ON INFORMATION FROM A VETTING AGENCY - DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH IN DETAIL. landlord details over 5 years and permission to contact them, originals of their bank statements, their tax returns if relevant, get answers (in writing) to queries about any convictions, smoking, whether they have ever taken a landlord to court and what the details of that were, employment details and permission to contact, what if any "benefits" they have ever collected, .... absolutely whatever you like. If they decline anything, think carefully and probably reject.

If you select an agent, select carefully as they often rip you off. Think carefully whether you really want to be a landlord - if you don't know what you are doing you will get very badly burned, agent or no agent.

Comment

You should contact the prospective T, and tell them they have 14 days in which to provide all the information needed for the credit and reference checking, if it not there by then return any deposit, and relist for any new enquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
            You should contact the prospective T, and tell them they have 14 days in which to provide all the information needed for the credit and reference checking, if it not there by then return any deposit, and relist for any new enquiry.
            3 days. And if the documents show that they (clearly) lied on the Tenancy prelims questionnaire and had they not you would not have bothered, then they don't get the holding deposit back either.

Comment

thank you guys for the helpful answers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Oven light not working
                artin
                Hi
                I have a new tenant, a fussy one. I had a new bed base and mattress delivered for him, the first day he moved in complained mattress is too soft so had to replace and lost money on the other one
                Then he called the grill in the electric oven is not working which I knew from previous tenants...
                20-10-2019, 14:54 PM
              • Reply to Oven light not working
                ram
                I don't have a bulb in my oven. ( it's gas ) Should i insist on a brand new cooker with a light ? but i don't want an electric cooker, but that's not my problem. I want / demand a light in my cooker.

Supply the tenant with a torch is the answer.
                22-10-2019, 07:56 AM
              • Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                scampicat
                Hi all

We have had an enquiry from a couple to rent our two-bed flat. The lady is pregnant. We did put no children on the ad; however we are willing to see them and let them view the flat.

If however, we decide not to process their application further, can she sue us for discrimination...
                21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
              • Reply to Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                scampicat
                Thankyou Berlingogirl. We have told her that as the flat is not available for viewing until the 21st November, she can apply nearer the time and her application will be judged by the same criteria as everyone else's. She hopefully will find somewhere else during that time.
                22-10-2019, 07:31 AM
                ram
                As post number 7.
                As you say, you have lets say 10 applicants, you cant give the flat to the pregnant woman because she may sue you, because that is discrimination against the other 9.
                You would be purposely discriminating against the ones with no children especially as you said "no...
                22-10-2019, 07:30 AM
                Berlingogirl
                Just tell her you've decided to let to somebody else. You could say they have a higher income and a fantastic credit reference or whatever. You don't need to say anything about her prospective child, in that way there is no discrimination....
                22-10-2019, 07:16 AM
              • Rent increases.
                bobcat
                Hi everyone.
                I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
                21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
              • Reply to Rent increases.
                Berlingogirl
                I also find that a lot of enquiries come from people who rely 100% on benefits or need a guarantor. I'm just upgrading a 4 bed and will be asking rent at the rate the LHA was in December 2010 before the LHA rate was cut. Can't get fairer than saying the rent is the same as 9 years ago....
                22-10-2019, 07:13 AM
                Berlingogirl
                I'd increase it. I doubt if the tenants would be surprised at a rent increase after 4 years. At some point you are surely going to want to put the rent up or do you intend to keep the same forever? £10 isn't a lot and is a fair amount imo.
                22-10-2019, 07:10 AM
                Logical.Lean
                I recently advertised a house at somewhat less than the market rent, £675 instead of £725.
                this meant alot of interest, but too many of them were on benefits or needing a guarantor. This also meant that I couldn't show everyone around (30 people interested in 3 days of marketing and 80 in...
                22-10-2019, 06:34 AM
              Working...
              X