Transfer of deposit mid-tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer of deposit mid-tenancy

My letting agents have issued a termination notice mid-tenancy. I am therefore left to manage the property until the current TA expires and deal with end-of-tenancy obligations, in particular the deposit. My query is this: Can I arrange for the transfer of the deposit from the current letting agents' approved scheme to the approved scheme of my choice without obtaining the agreement of the tenant?

You don't need the tenant's permission, but you do need to serve the Prescribed Information to them again (with the new details).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

And don't forget to get proof of original protection (and any other tenancy-related documents) from the agent.

Comment

You must transfer the deposit directly in to your Approved Scheme without loss of any protection, which the current Agent can do, provided he has correct info.
        Don't let Agent pay deposit to you.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          Don't let Agent pay deposit to you.
          That is only if it is in a custodial scheme.

If it is in an insured scheme, then
          a) you need to protect it before agent's protection ceases, and
          b) you need to get it from the agent.

Comment

Same applies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X