Transfer of deposit mid-tenancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer of deposit mid-tenancy

My letting agents have issued a termination notice mid-tenancy. I am therefore left to manage the property until the current TA expires and deal with end-of-tenancy obligations, in particular the deposit. My query is this: Can I arrange for the transfer of the deposit from the current letting agents' approved scheme to the approved scheme of my choice without obtaining the agreement of the tenant?

You don't need the tenant's permission, but you do need to serve the Prescribed Information to them again (with the new details).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

And don't forget to get proof of original protection (and any other tenancy-related documents) from the agent.

Comment

You must transfer the deposit directly in to your Approved Scheme without loss of any protection, which the current Agent can do, provided he has correct info.
        Don't let Agent pay deposit to you.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
          Don't let Agent pay deposit to you.
          That is only if it is in a custodial scheme.

If it is in an insured scheme, then
          a) you need to protect it before agent's protection ceases, and
          b) you need to get it from the agent.

Comment

Same applies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Written information proving protection of deposit not provided by agent/landlord
              mb4030
              Hello,

Basically, we've moved out of our property and are awaiting our deposit back. We are aware that the agent wants to make deductions, but has not told us of what amount. Anyway, whilst trying to source our deposit we have noticed some issues, and I believe we are within our rights...
              22-10-2019, 08:18 AM
            • Energy efficiency certificate
              Thehitman2001uk
              I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
              or did the current...
              21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
            • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
              jpkeates
              It's not legal to let the property without the tenant being shown the current valid EPC beforehand.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that in real life, though....
              22-10-2019, 08:18 AM
            • Oven light not working
              artin
              Hi
              I have a new tenant, a fussy one. I had a new bed base and mattress delivered for him, the first day he moved in complained mattress is too soft so had to replace and lost money on the other one
              Then he called the grill in the electric oven is not working which I knew from previous tenants...
              20-10-2019, 14:54 PM
            • Reply to Oven light not working
              ram
              I don't have a bulb in my oven. ( it's gas ) Should i insist on a brand new cooker with a light ? but i don't want an electric cooker, but that's not my problem. I want / demand a light in my cooker.

Supply the tenant with a torch is the answer.
              22-10-2019, 07:56 AM
            • Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
              scampicat
              Hi all

We have had an enquiry from a couple to rent our two-bed flat. The lady is pregnant. We did put no children on the ad; however we are willing to see them and let them view the flat.

If however, we decide not to process their application further, can she sue us for discrimination...
              21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
            • Reply to Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
              scampicat
              Thankyou Berlingogirl. We have told her that as the flat is not available for viewing until the 21st November, she can apply nearer the time and her application will be judged by the same criteria as everyone else's. She hopefully will find somewhere else during that time.
              22-10-2019, 07:31 AM
              ram
              As post number 7.
              As you say, you have lets say 10 applicants, you cant give the flat to the pregnant woman because she may sue you, because that is discrimination against the other 9.
              You would be purposely discriminating against the ones with no children especially as you said "no...
              22-10-2019, 07:30 AM
              Berlingogirl
              Just tell her you've decided to let to somebody else. You could say they have a higher income and a fantastic credit reference or whatever. You don't need to say anything about her prospective child, in that way there is no discrimination....
              22-10-2019, 07:16 AM
            • Rent increases.
              bobcat
              Hi everyone.
              I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
              21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
            Working...
            X