Looking for a humidity monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a humidity monitor

Does anyone know of a way of remotely monitoring humidity in the flat that we rent out? Sometimes we end up with tenants that complain about mould and I'm pretty sure its condensation because they don't ope the windows in winter.
    Cheers
    JL

But unless you can hide the connection somewhere, the tight buggars will unplug it.

It's almost a universal thing with my tenants. 14 out of 15 properties are like the rain forest indoors. You just need to confiscate trickle vent shutters, make sure bathroom fan cannot be switched off, and provide tumble driers & washing lines.

Also, put some labels on windows as follows:

To avoid mould: Open windows & doors for 30 minutes daily
    Do not dry washing indoors
    Do not put furniture on exterior walls

Comment

I bought a small device about the size of an alarm clock which I used in these situations - but it wasn't remotely operated. When using these devices it is probably more useful to have the relative humidity in various areas of the house so that you can isolate any areas of the dwelling differing from the normal range.

Now would be a good time to address this issue as the summer in theory should give the lowest readings unless you have a damp problem within the structure itself. I accept JKO's advice but you should also consider the possibility that there is another issue, You should check the rainwater gutters for leaks and blockages and also consider that you may have a roofing issue. For example the flashing around the chimney may be broken and water is entering by running down the chimney breast. In a flat you also have to consider a leak or broken washing machine upstairs.

You have to take this seriously as mould left untreated can be hazardous to health and most times the landlords have to be more proactive than the tenants to solve it.

Comment

Good advice about the leak checks etc

We've done all that stuff. Now it's just down to the question "Is this new tenant a 'window-opener' or a 'dry lots of clothes/shower,breathe and live in a sealed bubble'.
        I was thinking a gadget that sent a report might be useful to flag up tenants that need guidance before the 'blackness' appears and then have to educate them

Comment

You can purchase remote monitoring, but the challenge would be how to connect it to enable you to receive the signal?? You wouldn't be able to use the tenants internet.

Fit Positive Input Ventilation fan and constant running fans in bathroom and kitchen.

Comment

My advice which I've done, is give the T a dehumifier (around £60-£100) most of the time they use it as I tell them the benefits of it both to their bills, and their health. After around 3-6 months I then remove it and tell them to buy their own if they require to have the benefit of it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent / Guarantor
              by Hudson01
              As has been said, if this situation continues she will not be able to afford the rent going forward on a min wage job, i doubt the ex will be interested at all and you may not even be able to find him. Although sad indeed you have to look at this from a long term financial view, which means she will...
              30-05-2020, 17:39 PM
            • Rent / Guarantor
              by spike589715
              Hi all
              thank you for any advice
              we rent out a house via a management company
              the tenant has been in the house for around 5 years always paid on time until now
              they are now 3 weeks behind with the rent
              they are ignoring all attempts by the management company to contact,...
              12-05-2020, 18:28 PM
            • Reply to Three friends wish to rent 4 bed HMO
              by jpkeates
              Give them standard one room and sharing agreements and charge them 4/3 the rent?
              30-05-2020, 17:16 PM
            • Three friends wish to rent 4 bed HMO
              by bengal
              Three hospital staff colleagues wish to rent an entire 4 HMO for themselves. They're happy to pay the full amount minus bills for the 4th room.
              I can foresee some potential problems. i.e. if they choose not to move out at the same time - How would you recommend the best way of doing this?...
              30-05-2020, 17:14 PM
            • Reply to S21 notice now or wait
              by BTL investor
              Obviously some people are going to say one thing and some people are going to say another thing. Only you know your own financial position and how much you do or don’t want or need to keep this tenant, my property has been empty for months because I don’t want the hassle of a non paying tenant and...
              30-05-2020, 16:55 PM
            • S21 notice now or wait
              by Uklondoner
              My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. But I am also worried he won't pay anything because of the notice....
              30-05-2020, 08:19 AM
              by spike589715
              Hi thanks for the thoughts the MC contacted the partner and he claims she has the money - but a good point to suggest that he pays directly half the amount to the MC and she pays the other
              Not sure the situation re UC she really needs to check this out For herself
              we will, of course be...
              30-05-2020, 16:44 PM
            • Reply to Existing tenant wants a dog
              by royw
              I think you should throw her out. Just send her in my direction, I'm looking for a tenant just like her 😁
              30-05-2020, 16:33 PM
            • Existing tenant wants a dog
              by Ericthelobster
              A current tenant has asked if she can get a dog (I have a no-pets clause in the tenancy agreement). I'm not overjoyed at the prospect but she's an excellent, long-standing tenant who I want to retain, so I'm thinking seriously about allowing it.

If I agree, what conditions/terms can I...
              28-05-2020, 11:35 AM
              by royw
              Would the housing element of UC cover it? Contact the partner and remind him he is still responsible for the rent. Suggest she makes plans to leave at the end of the contract and serve notice at the appropriate time. Perhaps offer a reduction of rent if she goes on time. Be gentle, her world has fallen...
              30-05-2020, 16:22 PM
            Working...
            X