Looking for a humidity monitor

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking for a humidity monitor

    Does anyone know of a way of remotely monitoring humidity in the flat that we rent out? Sometimes we end up with tenants that complain about mould and I'm pretty sure its condensation because they don't ope the windows in winter.

    But unless you can hide the connection somewhere, the tight buggars will unplug it.

    It's almost a universal thing with my tenants. 14 out of 15 properties are like the rain forest indoors. You just need to confiscate trickle vent shutters, make sure bathroom fan cannot be switched off, and provide tumble driers & washing lines.

    Also, put some labels on windows as follows:

    To avoid mould: Open windows & doors for 30 minutes daily
    Do not dry washing indoors
    Do not put furniture on exterior walls


      I bought a small device about the size of an alarm clock which I used in these situations - but it wasn't remotely operated. When using these devices it is probably more useful to have the relative humidity in various areas of the house so that you can isolate any areas of the dwelling differing from the normal range.

      Now would be a good time to address this issue as the summer in theory should give the lowest readings unless you have a damp problem within the structure itself. I accept JKO's advice but you should also consider the possibility that there is another issue, You should check the rainwater gutters for leaks and blockages and also consider that you may have a roofing issue. For example the flashing around the chimney may be broken and water is entering by running down the chimney breast. In a flat you also have to consider a leak or broken washing machine upstairs.

      You have to take this seriously as mould left untreated can be hazardous to health and most times the landlords have to be more proactive than the tenants to solve it.


        Good advice about the leak checks etc

        We've done all that stuff. Now it's just down to the question "Is this new tenant a 'window-opener' or a 'dry lots of clothes/shower,breathe and live in a sealed bubble'.
        I was thinking a gadget that sent a report might be useful to flag up tenants that need guidance before the 'blackness' appears and then have to educate them


          You can purchase remote monitoring, but the challenge would be how to connect it to enable you to receive the signal?? You wouldn't be able to use the tenants internet.

          Fit Positive Input Ventilation fan and constant running fans in bathroom and kitchen.


            My advice which I've done, is give the T a dehumifier (around £60-£100) most of the time they use it as I tell them the benefits of it both to their bills, and their health. After around 3-6 months I then remove it and tell them to buy their own if they require to have the benefit of it.


            Latest Activity


            • Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
              by hazedunks
              Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
              21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
            • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
              by leaseholder64
              If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
              20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
            • Unilateral Break Clause
              by PadHicks
              Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

              I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

              The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
              20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
            • Reply to Online Letting Agents
              by royw
              I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
              20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
            • Online Letting Agents
              by kathekas
              Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

              What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

              Many thanks
              20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
            • Reply to Advise when buying a property
              by jpkeates
              Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
              You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

              As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
              Ideally your solicitor...
              20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
            • Advise when buying a property
              by alejandrog89

              We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
              20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
            • Reply to Possession of Property advice
              by DPT57
              Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
              20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
            • Possession of Property advice
              by mirfie
              Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
              20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
            • Reply to Advise when buying a property
              by Flashback1966
              Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

              If it is a water pipe leak, it...
              20-11-2019, 17:54 PM