Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Deposit paid and confirmation that offer agreed

Hope someone can offer some advice on the below:

We had an offer accepted on a property, paid our holding deposit and received a signed document that offer agreed with a move-in date at the end of September. We just heard yesterday that the previous tenants are not able to move out now until the end of October and that we can either agree to move-in at the end of September or receive our holding deposit back and find a new property. With the move-in date 10 days away, we can't see us being able to find a flat that quickly.

I don't think there is anything we can do to enforce the end of September tenancy but are we entitled to any sort of compensation from the landlord? i.e. pay for accommodation in the interim or pay for the additional day of movers (if we do decide to go through with the late move-in).

Thanks for your help.

It will depend entirely on what the signed document actually says.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It says offer agreed subject to contract and referencing, with the move in date 28 September agreed, rent agreed, term agreed, and break clause at 12 months agreed. Holding deposit paid on 10 September.

Also, re the current tenants, they submitted their notice to leave the property at the end of September but as they have a two month notice period and there tenancy runs until 30 October, is it correct that they have the right to stay until the end of October, even though they submitted a notice saying they wanted to leave end of September?

Comment

Because that agreement is subject to contract and you haven't agreed a contract, you can't enforce it.
        The conditions required to make it binding haven't arisen.

The tenant's notice ends the tenancy when it expires, which is presumably 30th October.
        But there's nothing to stop the tenant and landlord agreeing that it will end on 30 September instead - other than it might be a bit more complicated (particularly if the tenancy is in a fixed term).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Why does the title say "Holiday"?

Comment

Autocorrecting device I would think

Comment

Not 'proof read' before posting?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X