Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO

I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

Do landlords typically allow this? I personally don’t have a problem with it but it kind of goes against my nice quiet house advertisement for the other potential tenants.

You have no idea how the rules will change in the future regardless of what potential rules you are breaching now. Tell chap that government rules and approach make it necessary for you to stick to the words of the agreement he will be signing. If he wants to see his son he will have to find somewhere else.

Comment

Thank you! I have told him no!

Comment

I would say no too. If you allow one child then who knows how many of the other tenants will want overnight guests.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
          what potential rules you are breaching now.
          How does one breach potential rules, please?

Comment

I would concur, a HMO is not a place for a small child to stay in the medium term.

Comment

You also have to consider if it would breach minimum room size regulations or maximum HMO occupancy under your licence.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                You also have to consider if it would breach minimum room size regulations or maximum HMO occupancy under your licence.
                and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Neighbour Erecting Unsightly Signs
                  by Hudson01
                  I have just dragged this from the first Google search i found........

'' As a seller, you have a duty to inform potential buyers about any disputes you've had with your neighbours that have involved official bodies. If you fail to do so, you could be sued at a later date.''

21-01-2021, 17:51 PM
                • Neighbour Erecting Unsightly Signs
                  by jghomer
                  Hi All

Grateful for opinions on an odd situation.

The neighbour of one of my tenants does not get on with my tenants at all. It's a shame because my tenants are lovely people.

He has decided to erect ridiculous 'Private Property' signs facing inwards towards my...
                  21-01-2021, 12:49 PM
                • Reply to Death of landlady, where does rent go?
                  by Ani
                  Thanks, appreciate your help
                  21-01-2021, 17:46 PM
                • Death of landlady, where does rent go?
                  by Ani
                  My Mother-in-law lived until recently in an ‘assisted-living’ flat, which she owned. Once she moved into a care home we are (with Power of Attorney) selling her flat on a rent-to-buy basis, with the rent being deducted from the selling price if completing within six months. But my Mother-in-law...
                  21-01-2021, 14:35 PM
                • Reply to Block of flats - freehold or leasehold
                  by DPT57
                  If the property is fully converted into self contained flats then there should be a freehold for the whole property and individual leases for each flat. If there are not then you would need to spend significant sums to create leases for each flat if you ever want to sell them individually. Where this...
                  21-01-2021, 17:39 PM
                • Block of flats - freehold or leasehold
                  by ritfor
                  Hello Folks,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I think it might fit into many of the forums. Point me in the correct direction if needed though!

I'm looking to invest in a block of 4 flats. Large terraced houses split into 4 self contained flats some while ago, with planning...
                  21-01-2021, 16:56 PM
                • Reply to How to advertise?
                  by DPT57
                  If the property is primarily serving one college then check with the Student Union whether there is an alternative. When I used to let to students, the college webpage for accommodation closed one day and was replaced by a Facebook group which I assume was administered by some of the students.
                  21-01-2021, 17:21 PM
                • How to advertise?
                  by bethy
                  We have a student house and flat and have only ever advertised them via the university's accommodation service. It's low cost, has no fees to students and to be accepted the property has to be a decent standard. I've just gone online to renew the advert for next year and got a message saying the service...
                  21-01-2021, 15:42 PM
                • Reply to Trouble with step mother
                  by Jul
                  Thanks everyone...
                  21-01-2021, 16:59 PM
                • Trouble with step mother
                  by Jul
                  Hi my husband was given a property as a deed of gift after his mother passed away in 1991 from his father. My husband put in place through the solicitor that his father could live rent free in the property but had to pay bills and any repairs or updating. His father married later the same year. The...
                  19-01-2021, 09:53 AM
                Working...
                X