Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO

I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

Do landlords typically allow this? I personally don’t have a problem with it but it kind of goes against my nice quiet house advertisement for the other potential tenants.

You have no idea how the rules will change in the future regardless of what potential rules you are breaching now. Tell chap that government rules and approach make it necessary for you to stick to the words of the agreement he will be signing. If he wants to see his son he will have to find somewhere else.

Comment

Thank you! I have told him no!

Comment

I would say no too. If you allow one child then who knows how many of the other tenants will want overnight guests.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
          what potential rules you are breaching now.
          How does one breach potential rules, please?

Comment

I would concur, a HMO is not a place for a small child to stay in the medium term.

Comment

You also have to consider if it would breach minimum room size regulations or maximum HMO occupancy under your licence.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                You also have to consider if it would breach minimum room size regulations or maximum HMO occupancy under your licence.
                and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X