Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO

I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

Do landlords typically allow this? I personally don’t have a problem with it but it kind of goes against my nice quiet house advertisement for the other potential tenants.

You have no idea how the rules will change in the future regardless of what potential rules you are breaching now. Tell chap that government rules and approach make it necessary for you to stick to the words of the agreement he will be signing. If he wants to see his son he will have to find somewhere else.

Comment

Thank you! I have told him no!

Comment

I would say no too. If you allow one child then who knows how many of the other tenants will want overnight guests.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
          what potential rules you are breaching now.
          How does one breach potential rules, please?

Comment

I would concur, a HMO is not a place for a small child to stay in the medium term.

Comment

You also have to consider if it would breach minimum room size regulations or maximum HMO occupancy under your licence.

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post
                You also have to consider if it would breach minimum room size regulations or maximum HMO occupancy under your licence.
                and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Written information proving protection of deposit not provided by agent/landlord
                  mb4030
                  Hello,

Basically, we've moved out of our property and are awaiting our deposit back. We are aware that the agent wants to make deductions, but has not told us of what amount. Anyway, whilst trying to source our deposit we have noticed some issues, and I believe we are within our rights...
                  22-10-2019, 08:18 AM
                • Energy efficiency certificate
                  Thehitman2001uk
                  I am in the process of letting out a house to a new tenant, I cant seem to find my enegry efficiency cert, how do I go about getting an energy efficiency certificate?

Was it supposed to be given to me by the estate agents when I purchased the house a few years back,
                  or did the current...
                  21-10-2019, 17:25 PM
                • Reply to Energy efficiency certificate
                  jpkeates
                  It's not legal to let the property without the tenant being shown the current valid EPC beforehand.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that in real life, though....
                  22-10-2019, 08:18 AM
                • Oven light not working
                  artin
                  Hi
                  I have a new tenant, a fussy one. I had a new bed base and mattress delivered for him, the first day he moved in complained mattress is too soft so had to replace and lost money on the other one
                  Then he called the grill in the electric oven is not working which I knew from previous tenants...
                  20-10-2019, 14:54 PM
                • Reply to Oven light not working
                  ram
                  I don't have a bulb in my oven. ( it's gas ) Should i insist on a brand new cooker with a light ? but i don't want an electric cooker, but that's not my problem. I want / demand a light in my cooker.

Supply the tenant with a torch is the answer.
                  22-10-2019, 07:56 AM
                • Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                  scampicat
                  Hi all

We have had an enquiry from a couple to rent our two-bed flat. The lady is pregnant. We did put no children on the ad; however we are willing to see them and let them view the flat.

If however, we decide not to process their application further, can she sue us for discrimination...
                  21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
                • Reply to Enquiry about pregnant prospective tenant
                  scampicat
                  Thankyou Berlingogirl. We have told her that as the flat is not available for viewing until the 21st November, she can apply nearer the time and her application will be judged by the same criteria as everyone else's. She hopefully will find somewhere else during that time.
                  22-10-2019, 07:31 AM
                  ram
                  As post number 7.
                  As you say, you have lets say 10 applicants, you cant give the flat to the pregnant woman because she may sue you, because that is discrimination against the other 9.
                  You would be purposely discriminating against the ones with no children especially as you said "no...
                  22-10-2019, 07:30 AM
                  Berlingogirl
                  Just tell her you've decided to let to somebody else. You could say they have a higher income and a fantastic credit reference or whatever. You don't need to say anything about her prospective child, in that way there is no discrimination....
                  22-10-2019, 07:16 AM
                • Rent increases.
                  bobcat
                  Hi everyone.
                  I need some advice about how best to approach rent increases. I own a property with good tenants who look after the house, they have been in the house for about 4 years. The market rent is around £675 but I am charging £595 so £80 less a month partly because I charged a bit less...
                  21-10-2019, 18:03 PM
                Working...
                X