Council Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council Tax

Hi am i right in saying that its the landlords job to report to the council a tenant has moved in ? or is its the tenants job?

Am asking this as i had a tenant for 4 years who was a student-she left the property without my knowledge and i ended up paying her council tax even though she was a student i had no ID in relation to her being a student from her to indicate this and paid her CT £7300 to the council- I can only get this money back once i find her to get her college details etc.

It's not that simple.

It's the responsibility of the person who is liable for the council tax to pay it.
    Who is liable is determined by a set of rules, and if the property is let to a single tenant who occupies it, it's the tenant.
    If the property is empty, it's the landlord.

Normally the landlord tells the council when someone moves in, because it's in their interest to do so, otherwise the council will continue to charge them the tax.
    The tenant should tell the council, but has less incentive to do so.

I don't see how you could have paid £7,300 in tax on behalf of someone else, their having a student exemption or not.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply- as she was a student i did not take her student ID papers and therefore the council assumed no one was living at the flat. I then sent in a tenancy agreement but they the council wanted her student documents such as enrolment papers which i do not have so they fined me instead. Hope this makes sense

Comment

Always notify the council as soon as a tenant moves in or out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Temperamental Water Supply in Flat.
          by jpkeates
          I'm slightly confused.

The responsibility for the supplier for water pipes ends when the pipe comes onto your property.
          I suspect that's where the stopcock is that they're talking about.

There's a stop cock next to the meter when the water comes under my border hedge....
          09-07-2020, 17:36 PM
        • Temperamental Water Supply in Flat.
          by dowdtw
          Hi. I rent in London in a converted house which is now 4 separate flats.

We get temperamental water supply into our flat. This is caused when other flats within the converted block are using water. Sometimes, little water, other times none at all. We have approached the landlord...
          06-07-2020, 11:56 AM
          by Section20z
          Now - for the sheer joy of getting away with breaking the law.
          previously - regularly turning stop cock prevents seizure, prevents winter floods in vacant properties and is particularly useful when working on the water system
          In fact my AST's make a point of advising tenants where the main...
          09-07-2020, 17:06 PM
        • Reply to Conservatory/patio roof maintenance
          by jpkeates
          That article is a load of cr@p.

There's possibly a debate about the Denning text and it's possibly overdue another test case.
          But that article is just page filler.

If it's made explicit in the tenancy agreement that does remove any confusion.
          The tenant is agreeing...
          09-07-2020, 15:52 PM
        • Conservatory/patio roof maintenance
          by leafytree2020
          Hi, I am looking for some advice as a tenant.

I live in a flat in a converted Victorian house in England. I've been living here for more than two years, and have a rolling tenancy (initial fixed term was 12 months). The property has an adjoining patio with perspex roof which is for our...
          09-07-2020, 10:35 AM
        • Reply to Polystyrene and ceramic tiles falling off - rented flat
          by DPT57
          Your landlord is clearly someone who is either wilfully unaware of the law or simply not bothered by it. You have mentioned several areas where he is in breach and my guess is that there are probably several others, such as gas safety compliance. I think that you should try to persusde your flatmates...
          09-07-2020, 15:49 PM
        • Polystyrene and ceramic tiles falling off - rented flat
          by cfdh
          Hi everyone

I was hoping to get some advice about the flat I am renting.

Every single room in the flat has polystyrene tiled ceilings, including the kitchen and bathroom. Many of these are starting to come off, including one directly above our gas cooker! There is a fire alarm...
          07-07-2020, 11:53 AM
          by AndrewDod
          The gutter article you refer to seems nonsense to me. The fact that a job is dangerous (lawnmowing is dangerous) has nothing to do one way or the other with responsibility for doing OR DELEGATING it. The default position is that the tenant keeps leaves out of the gutters (and if they block, makes good...
          09-07-2020, 15:25 PM
          by cuttingman
          I have a follow up question as I too have a conservatory. If leaves clog up the gutters should the tenant be clearing it out or during an inspection I should check and clear it out as the landlord? And the gutters on the roof of a house? So I should add to the tenancy agreement that gutters should be...
          09-07-2020, 14:35 PM
          by jpkeates
          Why do you do that?...
          09-07-2020, 14:12 PM
        Working...
        X