Council Tax

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Council Tax

    Hi am i right in saying that its the landlords job to report to the council a tenant has moved in ? or is its the tenants job?

    Am asking this as i had a tenant for 4 years who was a student-she left the property without my knowledge and i ended up paying her council tax even though she was a student i had no ID in relation to her being a student from her to indicate this and paid her CT £7300 to the council- I can only get this money back once i find her to get her college details etc.

    It's not that simple.

    It's the responsibility of the person who is liable for the council tax to pay it.
    Who is liable is determined by a set of rules, and if the property is let to a single tenant who occupies it, it's the tenant.
    If the property is empty, it's the landlord.

    Normally the landlord tells the council when someone moves in, because it's in their interest to do so, otherwise the council will continue to charge them the tax.
    The tenant should tell the council, but has less incentive to do so.

    I don't see how you could have paid £7,300 in tax on behalf of someone else, their having a student exemption or not.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Hi thanks for your reply- as she was a student i did not take her student ID papers and therefore the council assumed no one was living at the flat. I then sent in a tenancy agreement but they the council wanted her student documents such as enrolment papers which i do not have so they fined me instead. Hope this makes sense


        Always notify the council as soon as a tenant moves in or out.


        Latest Activity