Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding new tenant

Hi
    Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
    I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant and polite. But one thing is bothering me, after the meeting they drew an outline of the flat and measured the lounge, the 2 bedrooms and the hallway, I haven't seen such in the past. I asked why and the reply was "we are engineers and we like measuring". This made me a bit suspicious of intentions and plans they have. Any thoughts?

Also to note the flat is furnished with 2 sofas, tv table, 2 coffee tables, bookcase and dining table&chair in the lounge. Wardrobes, double beds, bedside tables, chest of drawers in the 2 bedrooms. One of them ask me for study desk and I declined. From the past experiences, previous tenants didn't need bring extra furniture apart from one study desk or a coffee table. Why measure?!
    Thanks

Maybe they do have some extra furniture to bring and wanted to know if it would fit. I am not too sure if measuring rooms is suspicious, if i were buying a property i may well do the same.

Comment

Yes if buying definitely measuring is normal but not for a furnished letting. I see what you're saying extra furniture but everything needed is there plus you can see what space available, why measure. They measured overall length and width of the rooms, would have made sense if they measured what space available, They measured the hallway too which is 3m x 1m with 4 doors to the the rooms plus main entry door and storage area, can't fit anything there.
      I can't think what extra furniture is required. I have suspicious of sub letting or running business. At the moment both living with their parents. Also their work place will be 15 miles drive when they can find near their work which is cheaper area save few hundred pounds a month on rent plus petrol and more importantly travel time. I did ask why rent here, they said to be nearer to London, friends....etc.

Comment

If you're not happy - reject them.

Comment

I have measured the property I rent, I always do and draw up dimensioned floor plans to scale in Autocad. (With a copy for the LL).

Comes in handy when the LL wants to get new carpets, or work out how much paint/wallpaper he needs to redocorate.

There are also a couple of very awkward corners (one with a low timber beam across it) for getting furniture round, having the plans on the computer means that you can assess if say a king sized double bed would get round. (It won't).

Comment

I won't rely on tenants to give me dimension for a new carpet tbh, either measure myself or send professionals, how many times I got new carpet while tenants in? None in my case in the last 15 years of 2 properties.

Corner and beams are fair enough to measure to see how furniture may fit.

Comment

I spoke to the agent today and he is convincing me there won't be trouble as they are young professionals and passed references ...etc. I suggested rent guarantee and they sent me the company they use lettinghub.co.uk £195 for 12 months, are they good and any alternatives one recommends? Do these people pay when tenants default or would they find ways out a claim?

Comment

Originally posted by artin View Post
                I can't think what extra furniture is required.
                It is not what is required, it is what they want.

A friend of mine is an organist and has a large organ.

Maybe they have large display cabinets for their collection of models, or a hobby for which they have specific furniture.
                Or perhaps it is as innocent as having inherited a large writing desk to which they are attached (I could understand this one).

Comment

They'll be working out how many growbags they can get in.

Comment

I'd still let to them but before doing so would make it clear that you'll be carrying out a courtesy visit in around 6 weeks/2 months to see how they're getting on and if there are any problems.

Comment

I am accepting them but having rent guarantee insurance in case plus as above 2 months inspections. I also asked the estate agent to add a condition where to ask me if they want to add any bulky furniture except study desks for each bedroom which they wanted me to supply but I refused.

The estate agents charges are going up as they are charging me more to share their losses as they can no longer charge tenants. I am planning not to use them in the future and what steps do I need to take but for another time and another thread.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Accelerated possession possible with section 8?
                        by hazedunks
                        Hey guys just wanted to check if there are no rent arrears and i simply want to recover the property back is it possible to use an accelerated possession order or does it have to be a standard possession with particular of claims form? Thanks.
                        21-11-2019, 00:06 AM
                      • Reply to Unilateral Break Clause
                        by leaseholder64
                        If this is verbatim, it is atrociously drafted. You don't, for example, receive a break clause. I'm still trying to work out how to interpret the smoking clause. I think this would have to go to court before one could say for certain what it means.
                        20-11-2019, 23:40 PM
                      • Unilateral Break Clause
                        by PadHicks
                        Hiya, I'm not good at this kind of thing.

I moved​ ​​into a flat in London two weeks ago with a verbal agreement that the other T would not be smoking indoors, at the viewing. This is a joint contract.

The contract says: "Smoking inside the property is not permitted...
                        20-11-2019, 23:27 PM
                      • Reply to Online Letting Agents
                        by royw
                        I've used openrent too and been happy with the service though it's been a couple of years since I needed a new tenant.
                        20-11-2019, 22:28 PM
                      • Online Letting Agents
                        by kathekas
                        Based on recommendations on this site we used uPad and we had what we thought was excellent service - sadly they have closed.

What are the members current recommendations for online letting agents?

Many thanks
                        20-11-2019, 08:26 AM
                      • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                        by jpkeates
                        Don't commit to anything until you have a proper evaluation of "leakages".
                        You can negotiate at any point up to exchange of contracts - after that is possible but can be costly.

As for fraud, yes, don't use email to do anything involving money.
                        Ideally your solicitor...
                        20-11-2019, 17:56 PM
                      • Advise when buying a property
                        by alejandrog89
                        Hi,

We have made an offer to a property in London and we are waiting for the mortgage to come through. However, offer has been accepted and process started. We heard the flat has some leakages so we are asking access to view the property with a plumber so he can tell the work that is needed....
                        20-11-2019, 17:26 PM
                      • Reply to Possession of Property advice
                        by DPT57
                        Have they said anything about why they're not paying the rent?...
                        20-11-2019, 17:55 PM
                      • Possession of Property advice
                        by mirfie
                        Hi, I am currently going through the process of evicting my tenants in a property via for not paying the rent. I'm in the early stages, and will in due course be serving a s.8 notice, but have a question. The rent is paid by the one of the tenants grandparents monthly and from what I understand, the...
                        20-11-2019, 11:50 AM
                      • Reply to Advise when buying a property
                        by Flashback1966
                        Is the leak from the flat above? In which case, that would be access to someone else's property. You don't have a right of entry. Or is it a leak from the roof, in which case, it is a shared building costs (so all the neighbours needs to pay for repairs).

If it is a water pipe leak, it...
                        20-11-2019, 17:54 PM
                      Working...
                      X