Dispute resolution - Tenant refuses to use free resolution service.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dispute resolution - Tenant refuses to use free resolution service.

After approx 16 months of a good tenancy the tenant gave 1 month notice to leave. As the date given was 10 days after the next months rent was due I offered to take the 10 days of rent off their deposit but only if they authorize this. They did and I have an e-mail from them agreeing this. Now they have received the rest of the deposit but refuse to agree to release the rent money to me. Although offered the resolution service they have refused to get involved. I have been advised that I have to go through the courts to get this money back. Any ideas on where I can go with this i.e small claims court etc?

This is an example of why the deposit system does not work, even in a clear-cut case like (at least it seems) this.

Next time avoid the faff, and do not collect a deposit -- just charge more rent to cover potential losses across all tenants. Deposits serve very little purpose and cause a lot of time wasting.

Comment

See my post. I'm in a very similar situation, similar tenancy length and 14 days of rent owing which was to be taken from the deposit. Also needed to include deductions for damaged items they didn't make me aware of. Tenant is failing to respond after leaving the property.

Comment

Originally posted by swlondon View Post
        Although offered the resolution service they have refused to get involved. I have been advised that I have to go through the courts to get this money back. Any ideas on where I can go with this i.e small claims court etc?
        Yes, you can use the small claims process online - it's called money claim online.

It's a very simple process, although I remember signing up being a bit of a pain (because government websites are useless).
        But the actual process is simple enough, and an email agreeing to something is good evidence.

Using the service is actually quite empowering and you won't think twice about threatening to use it or actually using it in future.

And you can take some satisfaction from imagining the faces of the tenants as they find out that they can't just duck the consequences of their actions.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X